Deep throat....

Dutch

I took my s-I-l and Old Ned fishing last night.  We used the deal, blue/black, pb&j, june bug, California craw, and bubble gum.  We wound up catching 45 bass all on the Ned.  We got into spots on the first stop having several just sublegal.  A little later we hit the brown fish.  Those rascals were every where.  We had close to 30 of just them.  Green fish were very scattered with one coming now and then.

On back to back casts I caught good sized female white bass on the deal so we switched to hair jigs and caught 41 of them.  Then went back to the Ned.

I am a newbie on these itty bitty hooks with brown fish.  Several of them were bellied up like they hadn't spawned yet.  I thought they spawned in upper 50s water.  Lots of them were hooked very deep.  I have no problem going through the gills and getting the hook out without damaging the fish but s-I-l has fat fingers and has lots of trouble with that approach.

So those in the know, what do you do when fishing the slack line method to keep fish from getting hooked deep?

Dutch and others,

Here's THE DEAL..................... for the NED RIG..................................  don't use it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many,many,  fish die from it  !!!!!!!!  It is a proven small fish catcher ( even though it catches big ones too. ) I personally don't want to catch ANY small fish although sometimes it just happens. I know I will hear about this post. Those forthcoming comments won't make me waiver. It is just not the right method for catch and release of fish with large mouths. ( Pun intended )

Walcrabass

You should design a lure similar to a passafier, with a lip large enough to prevent the fish from swallowing it.   Maybe a frisbee with a ned glued to the middle?   Or maybe a soccer ball with neds glued to all the black squares...it would be the a-rig of ned rigs catch several at a time! I want royalties.

• Members

I have caught many hundreds of fish on the Ned Rig along with my wife fishing with me for the past 3 years (close to 4).  While we have a little slack in the line we keep in contact with the bait most of the time and I have never had any fish swallow the hook or was hooked too deep that I couldn't easily remove the hook.  You read that correctly, never had a swallowed hook on the Ned Rig.  When throwing a Carolina Rig, Wacky Rig, and a weightless rig I have had fish swallow the hook on all of those other ones but not the Ned Rig.  I have LOTS of experience and time in with proven results and no deeply hooked fish.  Like I said, I keep in contact with my bait constantly with shaking it or dragging it slowly.  I do not throw it out and leave slack line in it which would allow the fish to swallow it.  As far as being a small fish catcher, I would highly disagree with that.  If and when you fish it for 3 years plus at all times of the year then you would have the experience to make that statement.  My experience, and I have the time in for the proof, is that it catches fish of all sizes.  I have caught countless fish over 3 pounds on it.  While you do catch some small fish on it, you catch some medium fish on it along with some large fish on it.  This is my opinion that was formed with over 3 years of experience fishing it with proven results.  While some people do not agree with me (and that is fine) I would speculate that they do not have the experience with fishing it as much as I have fished it.  

15 minutes ago, ewlech said:

I have caught many hundreds of fish on the Ned Rig along with my wife fishing with me for the past 3 years (close to 4).  While we have a little slack in the line we keep in contact with the bait most of the time and I have never had any fish swallow the hook or was hooked too deep that I couldn't easily remove the hook.  You read that correctly, never had a swallowed hook on the Ned Rig.  When throwing a Carolina Rig, Wacky Rig, and a weightless rig I have had fish swallow the hook on all of those other ones but not the Ned Rig.  I have LOTS of experience and time in with proven results and no deeply hooked fish.  Like I said, I keep in contact with my bait constantly with shaking it or dragging it slowly.  I do not throw it out and leave slack line in it which would allow the fish to swallow it.  As far as being a small fish catcher, I would highly disagree with that.  If and when you fish it for 3 years plus at all times of the year then you would have the experience to make that statement.  My experience, and I have the time in for the proof, is that it catches fish of all sizes.  I have caught countless fish over 3 pounds on it.  While you do catch some small fish on it, you catch some medium fish on it along with some large fish on it.  This is my opinion that was formed with over 3 years of experience fishing it with proven results.  While some people do not agree with me (and that is fine) I would speculate that they do not have the experience with fishing it as much as I have fished it.  

X2.  Have never deep hooked a fish and have caught some toads on it THIS time of year....

Mike

time of year

I use curved hemostats such as these:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Fishing-Pinchers-Hemostat-Locking/dp/B01LMQVY82/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1492626943&sr=1-11&keywords=long+curved+forceps

That way I don't need to use my fat fingers. Plus the curve enables a twist motion that inverts the hook easily.

He doesn't fish often enough to keep the fish from getting hooked deep.  I have the hemos and will put them in the boat for him to try.  Thanks rps.

• Members
4 hours ago, shrapnel said:

You should design a lure similar to a passafier, with a lip large enough to prevent the fish from swallowing it.   Maybe a frisbee with a ned glued to the middle?   Or maybe a soccer ball with neds glued to all the black squares...it would be the a-rig of ned rigs catch several at a time! I want royalties.

This is funny I don't care who you are I'd like to see that soccer ball with all the needs glued to it getting slung around the water it could b called a titty ball