OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kelroy

Gages at Ross Bridge and East Gate FLW

The gages at Ross Bridge and East Gate have ceased to function due to submersion failure. Both bridges are completely submerged at this time. Crews will begin replacing equipment as soon as the water recedes far enough to allow access to the gage structures. 

A crew measured 89,000cfs this afternoon below East Gate.

I have not heard anything, but from the looks of it, I'd speculate they got hit pretty hard. The bridge was totally submerged, just starting to hang drift on the guardrails after the peak. The powerlines were close enough to the water we couldn't get under them safely. Had to back a mile down White Oak road to launch, measurement x-sec about 1/2 mile above bridge. Measured discharge 86,000cfs which exceeds level for 500 yr event. Measured 89,000cfs below East Gate. Both measurements estimated to be near half-foot below the peak. I pray everyone got out ok.

Events like this recent rain are all the justification needed for maintaining all the existing USGS gages. I think they should be expanded and up graded to the new flood reality. 

6 hours ago, Greasy B said:

Events like this recent rain are all the justification needed for maintaining all the existing USGS gages. I think they should be expanded and up graded to the new flood reality. 

I was thinking the same thing. If we can get enough people to call their Senator and representatives maybe they will change their minds.