Hatchery

bkbying89

4 hours ago, MOPanfisher said:

Way more expense will go into the bridge and road work across the southern part of the state.  

No doubt, But that is not a part of the budget for the parks and a subject for a different forum. I feel as bad as anyone about the people and lives that have been disrupted and hope they will get more help from insurance and the government (us) quickly.

Yes quite a few breeders got loose and blown out into the stream with the flooding. I made an emergency trip down last week along with several others and I can personally attest (along with 5 buddies) that over 175+ breeders were returned to the brood/breeder tank at Montauk over the last 5 days. No kudos or thanks needed as it was the right thing to do (still sore from carrying bins with fish/water over to the raceway haha) . We love that park and the Current in general as most of us have been enjoying it since before we could walk and talk.

I can't say the same for several other people who took advantage of  the disaster and decided to catch/film//keep/boast about them (TAD HEADRICK and crew) on their "outdoor page".  Makes me sick along with the lodge, park, and hatchery staff and every single other person who knows about it.  Its nothing new from him. Nothing at all sporting about catching fish in a barrel and then acting like a wanna-be celebrity.

I did hear that while there were some losses at the big hatchery quite a few fish survived. I saw some posts by the MDC on Montauk Hatchery specifically that the hatchery fared better than expected.

After talking with the park and hatchery staff and everyone there was an incredible effort to save the hatcheries.  Those folks busted their tails and worked tirelessly (and still) to save and clean up what they could. Many thanks to them as well for everything they did and do on a day to day basis!

Thanks, 10pointer, For your work and your report. I sit here typing 130 miles away and every time I lift the lid on this computer and the first thing I do is check to see if there is any fresh news on ANY of the Ozark towns and rivers that have been affected by the floods. Ozarkers are a tough bunch of people and will do fine but life is hard enough without a smack down like this flood.

Yes both hatcheries (the one near the C&R and also the big one between the mill and lodge) got hit.  The fish from the brood tanks above the C&R got blown out into the C&R and some into the bait section from that first hole on down through the cemetery hole at the bottom of the hill.

I would have posted about this last week but we were trying to buy as much time for the hatchery and staff to seine what fish they could and get them back into the tanks. Most have been returned.  I'm sure the hatchery staff would love any additional brood stockers be returned to the hatchery if possible (of course they would need to approve).

That flood blew away all records and seeing the high water marks was just unbelievable.  I've seen big floods and this one was just unfathomable. It is amazing that no one lost their lives and there wasn't even more destruction.

16 minutes ago, 10pointer said:

Yes both hatcheries (the one near the C&R and also the big one between the mill and lodge) got hit.  The fish from the brood tanks above the C&R got blown out into the C&R and some into the bait section from that first hole on down through the cemetery hole at the bottom of the hill.

I would have posted about this last week but we were trying to buy as much time for the hatchery and staff to seine what fish they could and get them back into the tanks. Most have been returned.  I'm sure the hatchery staff would love any additional brood stockers be returned to the hatchery if possible (of course they would need to approve).

That flood blew away all records and seeing the high water marks was just unbelievable.  I've seen big floods and this one was just unfathomable. It is amazing that no one lost their lives and there wasn't even more destruction.

How did the rest of the park fair 10pointer??? Lodge,CG's,cabins.... Etc.??

From what I was told------------The lodge fared well and wasn't flooded. The campground on the other hand was hit hard and they were working through the weekend to get it cleaned up. I didn't get to hear the extent of the damage but the folks are working hard to get things somewhat back to normal. They had quite a few volunteers this weekend and prisoners that were brought down to help restore the campground.  I haven't heard when it will open back up though.

The cabins near the waterfall looked to be standing as well as the fish cleaning station and bathrooms.  I'm sure there is damage but glad to see them still intact from the outside.

I was going to try to help clean up in the campground area on Thursday but there was no work able to be done as it flooded once again while I was there. I arrived Thursday morning and no sooner had to flee back across the bridge from the lodge to the hatchery building/bait section as the water was rising quickly and would be over the bridge within minutes.  It only got to I believe 8ft on the gage but enough to top the bridge and keep the road/park closed for hours as the rain just kept falling throughout the afternoon.

Thanks for the info 10pnt. Hopefully things will get back to a normal routine down there soon.  I'm sure the local economy depends a lot on people visiting that and other parks along that waterway.  

How does a person go about becoming a volunteer to help clean up??? Just show up and offer help?? Or is a waiver of liability signature required??

The best way I was told is to show up to the Park Office (573) 548-2201 and they can direct you.  I believe certain things they wont let volunteers help with for liability reasons but there are plenty of other things to do.  I believe the campground is in the most need of help but they could clarify if you gave them a call or showed up.