Does anyone know what kind of grass it is that is taking over fellows right now? Also does it hold fish or does it overtake everything and force them elsewhere? Tried to fish south arm yesterday and it was full of grass and didn't see any activity other than bait. Didn't have a bite in that area even with the low pressure. Couldn't find hardly any bass yesterday. 

• Members

The grass you are seeing in south arm is hydrilla.  It started getting thick in there a few years back and seems like it is going to take the back half of that cove over.  There are places that are close to 20 feet of water and that stuff is growing from the bottom all the way to the surface.  It is in several places on the lake.  Good news is I have found it to be loaded with fish.  I don't know about bass but the crappie are in it thick as are walleyes.  You just have to find the edges of it that is were I have been doing well just letting a roadrunner with a minnow on it free fall down the deeper edges.  I would imagine a top water would be good for bass that way you can cover water or do like bassfisher said and flip your way through it.

Thanks for the responses guys. Went out again on Memorial day with the rest of the county and stunk it up. Only put 2 in the boat from 7 to noon. One was on a green pumpkin shakey head the other on a green pumpkin craw. Didn't try to fish around the grass much. I'm not experienced in it but will have to try the next time I go out. 

• Members
34 minutes ago, Seth Clarkson said:

Thanks for the responses guys. Went out again on Memorial day with the rest of the county and stunk it up. Only put 2 in the boat from 7 to noon. One was on a green pumpkin shakey head the other on a green pumpkin craw. Didn't try to fish around the grass much. I'm not experienced in it but will have to try the next time I go out. 

You trying specifically for bass? 

• Members
1 hour ago, MOPanfisher said:

Possible but unlikely that it is hydrilla.  Hydrilla is not a grass.  If you can, post a pic of it.  If hydrilla then the MDC will want to know as it's an invasive they are fighting tooth and nail against. 

After looking up a picture of hydrilla online I can say the grass in fellows at least looks like hydrilla. Not an expert obviously but it does look like it