Fishing Clearwater Beach and Panama City Beach any advice?

So my Summer vacations are spinning up here in 2 weeks.  First excursion involves a few days in clearwater before we head to disney.  Plan on at least pier fishing a bit from the big pier there, but any advice on some decent half day charters?

A month from now we will be in Panama City Beach Florida and I have already booked a from the shore night time sharking trip, but again looking for any decent charters, or any areas I must fish.

Thanks guys!

If you were closer to Destin, I'd have a few spots for ya... Just looking at the map around PCB, that jetty leading in/out of the Bay by St. Andrew's SP looks pretty good. If you can find some areas with submerged grass, where the tides roll in/out the fish will be there. I've done well with the packs of frozen mullet they sell at most gas stations and tackle stores. Free lined on weighted on the bottom. I also like the war eagle 1/2 - 1 oz. jigging spoons in Silver. Early morning topwater can be fun as well. 

I grew up fishing that area, great fishing! you can go offshore but its pricy...if you watch the tides you can do really well big mackerel (kings) and Spanish are around,

I don't remember what these lures are called "gotchas?"  but this is what you want to fish a snapping retrieve makes them walk the dog....line capacity is important 125 yards won't cut it a 6500c type reel on a 7 foot rod is what you need google you tube vids on pier fishing the area lots to see and learn

10133771.jpg

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

I have a 9ft surf rod with 250 or 300 yards on there.  I've fished Destin and pcb area and agree it's great fishing.   I'll have to research the spoons and grab some of those too.  I also will bottom rig if i can get the sabiki rigs working on some decent bait.  I looked at charters,  but man they aren't cheap.   I was used to $250 to $300 for a half day, but most I found were $500.

Thanks guys for the feedback.   Keep it coming

$500 is kinda the minimum for a guide with two for a half day these days. All you want if fly-casting 60' plus for a couple hours.  Pick up a small cast net and a bucket. Teach the kids to to toss it. Plenty of live bait and other creatures in the surf brea.

13 hours ago, MoCarp said:

I grew up fishing that area, great fishing! you can go offshore but its pricy...if you watch the tides you can do really well big mackerel (kings) and Spanish are around,

I don't remember what these lures are called "gotchas?"  but this is what you want to fish a snapping retrieve makes them walk the dog....line capacity is important 125 yards won't cut it a 6500c type reel on a 7 foot rod is what you need google you tube vids on pier fishing the area lots to see and learn

10133771.jpg

Yep that's a gotcha. 

14 hours ago, MoCarp said:

10133771.jpg

Mackerel, particularly Spanish and ceros, love these guys. As mentioned used a lot from piers and bridges if you aren't in a boat.

If you are going to fish with bait then a big rod and a big reel are the way to go. If you are just going to toss some lures then you don't need much. I use a 7 ft spinning rod with 15lb braid and usually catch enough to keep me entertained. Redfish, ladyfish, jacks, flounder, blues. They all hang really close. All you need are some Johnson Sprites, gotchas, rattletraps, topwater, etc. Learn to read the surf and tides. 

Like snagged said, early is best. Like 5am. But that's tough to do on vacay. 

Call around when you get there for an offshore trip. I did this yesterday and was able to get my daughter and I on a boat this Friday for $100 each. We will be in there with 8 others but that's really not bad. 

Full disclosure: I tossed a spoon for an hour and a half this morning with nada. :(