Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dtrs5kprs

Am I on the wrong flipping lake?

Recommended Posts

When the lake is up, you sometimes have to roll with the punches. Certainly doesn't feel like TR in June though.

We started out yesterday throwing Ned, then switched to flipping pretty quickly. That put a limit of blacks in the boat by 9am. All in various stages of bedding, all in the very back ends of spawn coves. Those places are also alive with bait. 

930ish we ran downlake to look at some Ned fish. Found a horde of them, caught them on the 1/8oz, mix of colors on the cut Zinkerz. PBJ, GP red, Deal, etc.

Did that until the wind and wakes got to be a bit much. Moved shallower on the same stuff and caught some flipping.

Next stop was some main lake brush close to deep water. Flipping again. That added a couple more keepers, including a brown fish, and several shorts. Right before we came in we also caught several on a swing head and action cat out in front of the same bushes.

On the flip bite...it seems like they are on different types of wood/bushes in different places, but the same in a given place. Some are pretty darn shallow, less than 2'.

IMG_20170612_070402264.jpg

IMG_20170612_070219865-2254x4007.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, dtrs5kprs said:

When the lake is up, you sometimes have to roll with the punches. Certainly doesn't feel like TR in June though.

We started out yesterday throwing Ned, then switched to flipping pretty quickly. That put a limit of blacks in the boat by 9am. All in various stages of bedding, all in the very back ends of spawn coves. Those places are also alive with bait. 

930ish we ran downlake to look at some Ned fish. Found a horde of them, caught them on the 1/8oz, mix of colors on the cut Zinkerz. PBJ, GP red, Deal, etc.

Did that until the wind and wakes got to be a bit much. Moved shallower on the same stuff and caught some flipping.

Next stop was some main lake brush close to deep water. Flipping again. That added a couple more keepers, including a brown fish, and several shorts. Right before we came in we also caught several on a swing head and action cat out in front of the same bushes.

On the flip bite...it seems like they are on different types of wood/bushes in different places, but the same in a given place. Some are pretty darn shallow, less than 2'.

IMG_20170612_070402264.jpg

IMG_20170612_070219865-2254x4007.jpg

Thanks for the report. Was the water temp still under 80?  I thought the spawning time was over. Very interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cheesemaster said:

Thanks for the report. Was the water temp still under 80?  I thought the spawning time was over. Very interesting. 

Temp is hit and miss. Mostly hovering one side or the other of 80.

We always have some fish that spawn in June, including largemouth. Think there are more this year because of the timing of all the water. Fish were up in some of these places last week, more clearly came up with the moon.

Don't take that to mean the coves are full of spawners. Just that there are some to be caught. That isn't a 30 fish a day bite, but you mostly wouldn't need a board for the ones that eat it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dtrs5kprs said:

Temp is hit and miss. Mostly hovering one side or the other of 80.

We always have some fish that spawn in June, including largemouth. Think there are more this year because of the timing of all the water. Fish were up in some of these places last week, more clearly came up with the moon.

Don't take that to mean the coves are full of spawners. Just that there are some to be caught. That isn't a 30 fish a day bite, but you mostly wouldn't need a board for the ones that eat it.

Great info. Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, those southern fish sure take their sweet time getting it done. Their yankee cousins are in a much bigger hurry.

That flippin bite sounds fun. Love the hookset and fight on a short string.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.