Looking for a little advice

darinb

This forum seems to be a little on the slow side for responses. We recently moved to Clinton and, sad to say, have only fished Truman once.  So you can take my advice for what it's worth.

First, the boat is fine for the lake as far as size goes and if you watch the wind.

What I did and will be doing fairly soon is launching either at the state park or one of the launches in the dam end of the lake.  Truman is full of trees, and until you learn the channel, you can have difficulties running the lake. Given that the water is still high, a lot of the stumps will be under water, so it's better to be a bit cautious. 

There also is a good launch at Bucksaw Marina and at Deepwater and Sparrowfoot. However, the latter two launches are on the windiest portion of the lake, so you do have to consider that. 

Wish I could give you more info.  Good luck.

Truman is so big it is hard to answer your questions accurately.  What direction are you coming from.  What are you fishing for.  Are you just wanting to pleasure boat.  It  has so many different areas.  Your boat will be fine on most of them barring any really windy days and depending on your boating knowledge. 

• Members

A lot depends on what direction you are coming from.  I personally like using the following ramps:  Osage Bluff, Sterrett Creek, State Park, or Shawnee Bend at the Dam.  All 3 of the main rivers come together in this region of the lake so you can head several different directions.  The water can get rough in some of the large areas but typically it is not too bad.  If you are coming from the Clinton side of the lake, try Windsor Crossing, Long Shoal, or Buck Saw.  

• Members

So much good info! Thank you!!! I've heard a lot about the timber here at Truman. I just don't plan on moving too fast or outrunning my ability. We just want to go out and fish. We're not really interested in just riding around!  

Everyone on this forum is friendly and helpful so I'll pay that forward when it comes my time to share experience. 

THANK YOU!!!!! 👍🏻👍🏻

Darinb, as others said take your time on Truman and learn the area.  I launch out of Fairfield as its closer for me.  Truman is a fabulous fishery, just be ready willing and able to change your plans.  You maybhink you are going to spend a day flipping a jig into flooded brush, but when the schools of big whites and hybrids show up, by all means stop and fish them too.