How's Fishing?

• Members

Fishing was very good on Wed and Thur, then got tough Fri and Sat. Talked to several neighbors and they also had trouble catching fish on Fri and Sat. Fished zone 1 & 2, most of the time with sinking line and woolly's.  Tried a few midges and nymphs under a indicator Sat, but only a few fish, no pattern.  Had rain several nights and water came up a little on Thur, not much but got a little cloudy.  Big crowd on Sat and Sun, camp grounds full and most of the motels.  Good size fish at first but then on Fri and Sat small ones (~8").  Did see quite a few grass hoppers, so will try some hoppers next week in the evenings, no big hatches, only a few fish rising in the evening. 

• Members

I fished Saturday morning and evening and then again on Sunday morning. Crowds were in full force. I would find something that would work for a fish or two and then turn completely off. In zone 1 i tried dries and nymphs along with skipping woolies and cracklebacks and the hits were few and far between. Went to the high bank hole yesterday morning and tried the same thing with a little better luck than the day before but most of the hits were on the nymphs (RGN & San Juan Worm). I did go to a Hopper/Dropper for a bit and had 2 fish attack the Hopper and miss but got a few on a midge i was trailing underneath.

The fish are there but i am sure that with the big crowds shuffling around they have plenty of real food to eat and don't need our imitations.Fish are rising here and there but aren't hitting anything in particular that I could find. The Hoppers I saw around are green in color. 

I was there yesterday, but only got to fish for a few minutes. I spent most of my time on the river teaching my 2 year old to reel in small perch. 

The fishing at bennett seemed fairly slow. A few guys were catching them every now and then on small black midges. 

There is a lot of comfort to be gained from taking a break while fishing on a smallmouth stream and a pausing at one of the feeder springs, finding just the right depth and mixture of cold and regular water, and popping the top on a cold brew and enjoying it while soakingg up the coolness.  Of course it's MUCH better in a location where there aren't a bunch of other people, just the sound of the river and the outdoors.  

Finally made it up part of the mountain with my 2wd dually. I knew it was hotter up there than down hill. But I didn't realize it was that bad.  Granted there is about 4 pieces of equipment running up there. 

IMG_0609.JPG