Crappie Report ??

twosets

• Members

twosets,

I will tell you what I know, which may not be all that helpful. Was up to the 42 mile marker last Friday with two fishing buddies and had a fairly decent day. We caught 32 keepers from 5 foot out to 18 foot. The 10:00am water surface temp was 53 degrees and it warmed up to 65 by 3:00 am. When we cleaned the fish we noticed that none of the males had any black on them, and the females eggs were not bloody or mushy. Today I put in at Coffman Beach ramp on the Gravois. By all rights this should have been a great day to fish. 80 plus temp, full moon, warm water temps, dogwoods blooming out. I didn't get to the ramp until 10:00, and the first thing I noticed was a lack of trailer rigs in the parking lot. It should have been full, but only had about 8 rigs parked. The first dock I stopped at I threw the jig up into the boat well and landed a nice 13 inch crappie. That pretty well did it for me for the day. I caught a few dinks, a nice 3 lb hybrid and a small black bass. I spent some time fishing beds and could see fish around them on the graph, but they were not into jigs. I hit the shoreline amongst the docks, but no takers. I even trolled and lost one nice fish. Granted the wind was tough, but still should have picked up some crappie. The water temp was 57 when I started. I saw 63 later in the day. It was pretty clear around Coffman's, but I went almost to Gravois Mills and got into some better water there. Not sure why, but it sure wasn't much of a crappie day for me. Maybe some others have a better report for you. Good luck.

jcmojo

Dear jcmojo

Thanks for the detailed report, I really apperciate it. It would be great to see more reports for LOA like we have for Table Rock or Tany.

What it the optimal water temp for crappie spawn?

I have a feeling that with this cold front moving thru this weekend could be tough.

Thanks again

George

"This is not Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

• Members

Thanks twosets. I wish it could have been a better report. I think I might have done better with minnows. The ones that I graphed would touch the jig, but not take it. Maybe a really small jig like Bill Babler just reported taking some crappie on, would have worked. I have always heard that the surface temp needs to read 62 - 65 degrees at 7:00 am for the crappies to be up on the banks and spawning. That may be too fine a line, but probably close. May be other variables also. Yeah, the cold front could play havoc with this weekend. Good luck if you go.

jcmojo

A couple of my buds were there yesterday and had double limits of white bass and crappie. They said they were right on the bank.

Thanks Dutch and once again jcmojo

Maybe I'll have to take the flyrod along and float some tiny white jigs

I usually throw 1/16 with a variety of white and chartruse 2" curly tail bodies.

I am going no matter what, so we will see

George

• Members

Hello Guys,

I thought I would put my two cents in here. My brother-in-law and I fished on 3/27/07 in the Camdenton area and caught a few. I caught 3 crappie between 10 and 13 inches, and about 5 that were short. We also caught a few bass that were short and then some bluegill and drum fish. All in all the day wasn't hot, but we did get some. They seemed to be in the 8 to 10 foot range.

We were using 2" Watermelon Curly Tail Jigs and Red with White Tail Tube Jigs. I hope to get back up there here in the next week or two and try my luck at it again.

We are just getting started at learning how to fish the lake so we would love to see some more reports on here also.

Enjoy your Easter Fishing and let us know how it goes.

Fishin4Fun

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

-Henry David Thoreau

ForwardMotion Designs

Where Your Passions and Dreams Come To Life Online

http://ForwardMotionDesigns.com

A couple of my buds were there yesterday and had double limits of white bass and crappie. They said they were right on the bank.

I take you the Gravios (upper or lower)? I am going Sunday to check some things out. Will post later what I find.

thanks.

Sunday was the best day of the weekend in my opinion and I don't mean fishing. Cold, blustery and wind!! NWS called for 10mph WNW, but more like 20mph gusting.

Anyway, dropping shotting in BPs for crappie with X17 is the only way I could get bit. Water sure did cool down 50.5. Wind made me quit for crappie, went bass fishing and caught six dragging baits in the back of creeks with fist size rock. Water was clear as I fished mainly in the Gravios.

I have been very busy, not a good idea for a CPA to take a fishing trip before the end of tax season, but I never was that smart of a guy. Kids had spring break and I have fun at the lake no matter what. Anyway, here is my report from last weekend on the Little Niangua.

Cold

Cold

Cold

Water temp down to 50 and the crappie had definately moved out to deeper waters than I could find them. You would think with all of the stuff I threw at a variety of locations and depths that I would have caught at least one that was lost from the pack, but if you thought that you would have been wrong.

Did catch one about 12 ft deep off the dock as I was putting the boat up Monday afternoon but that was it.

Caught some nice chuncky 12-14 in bass and one drum of about 6lbs but that was it. Fun on my ultralight tackle. Also fished windy points for whites with no success. Icycles on the boat docks on Easter Sunday afternoon? You bet. 15 degrees f on Sunday morning.

The world is comming to an end.(Just ask Al Gore)

I have a buddy that is down there this weekend, but I do not think that the temps have warmed the water to any significant degree for the crappie. Wonder if they will renew the spawn at some temp or just absorb the eggs.

They were going to go up the Niangua and chase some walleye, I'll pass on any info I get.

George