Rockaway Area

ramman123

Yes it certainly is. I went Sunday (sorry for not posting) and did OK. The biggest problem was fighting the wind (went head long paddling in to Bull Creek and then it switched directions on me and had to paddle headlong back). Water color was slightly dingy compared to what I would consider normal, but definitely a good color IMHO. I don't have a gauge, but surface temps coming out of Bull were probably in the low 70s, maybe low to mid 60's  in the lower part of the confluence (just my guess, could be way off here). Definitely lots of new cover that's blown in and the grass is growing "well" for as dirty as the water had been.

I wasn't the only 'yaker out. Some where trout fishing, others warm water. I was fishing warm water. Did OK on a craw bait (YUM version). Not much of a crankbait or spinnerbait bite, but I was out in the sunniest/hottest part of the day (and I'm sure it probably got a little better as the evening went on). The wind made it difficult to paddle/hold where I wanted and fish the crawbug like I wanted. Caught 6. All were in the 10 - 12" range. LOTS of bluegill popping that little crawbug. They would carry that sucker all over the place but I guess could never really get the hook in their mouth. Did lose one really nice fish halfway back to the kayak on the same thing. I saw a few people catching trout. Mostly looked to be stocker size. Some were pretty nice, though.

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving