Ozark Finesse

dtrs5kprs

Today was a good day for it, and it's variation from Ned's Midwest Finesse. Namely, fishing deeper, a little slower, with a slightly heavier head, and less movement of the bait.

Brown fish were worked up out in front of bushes on pea gravel and mixed rock banks. Mostly 7'-15' or so, keeping the boat in 19'-21'. Water temps jumped up toward the middle 80's by afternoon, water had a little less color.

Most of our fish were on a 1/8oz head, cut Zinkerz- PBJ, GP goby, and Canada Craw. Also had a few on a jig, finesse and big football, tube, and even a hula grub. Total would have threatened 50. No monsters, maybe 5-6 keepers, just lots of pullers.

In the running for the Most Spawned Out Fish...

IMG_20170616_084022422_HDR-2254x4007.jpg

Football jig fish...

IMG_20170616_131407007-2254x4007.jpg

Ned Rig keeper and a fancy shirt for Champ (it was free, so...)

IMG_20170616_092457742-1093x1943.jpg

Around 1pm the short man had a flurry of catching as he discovered the classic bikini boat dock pattern. For some reason he became a dedicated line watcher right then.

IMG_20170616_132106384-2254x4007.jpg

2 hours ago, Quillback said:

Sweet, I am surprised to see a spawned out brownie this late.  And I did not see "Dirt" in your list of successful colors so I am also a bit disappointed.

I don't even have dirt in the boat. Can't catch them on it. 

We caught quite a few brown fish that had recently spawned over the two weeks. When this year's deluge hit, the brown fish were just starting to come up in numbers. Not surprised it knocked some back, plus the fish that always spawn late.

That one was paper thin.

IMG_20170616_084036172_HDR.jpg

its so funny the confidence games we play on ourselves. Color preferences become self fulfilling prophecies. Dirt is a very good color for me and I struggle with PB and J. I want to catch them on it, but I just can't get those Peanut Butter Vibes.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish