OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
slothman

Keeping jig trailers from sliding down

I have been learning to skip docks using a jig. I am starting to get pretty good at it, but I am having a terrible problem with my jig trailers sliding down when I do a lot of skipping. I am using a Jakked Baits 3/8 and 1/2 ounce jig with three different trailers: Rage Craws, Berkley Chigger Craw Crazy Legs, and Gene Larew Salt Craws. I have tried super glueing and that seems to help, but it seems like as soon as I glue a trailer on, I end up tearing off the claws. Also, the glue seems to deteriorate the jig skirt if it gets any on there. 

This has proved to be a great way for me to catch bass on Lake of the Ozarks, but I could really use some help keeping my trailers on better. Should I try a different trailer? Is there a better way to keep them on? Or, do I just need to accept that this is going to happen when skipping jigs under docks?

45 minutes ago, slothman said:

I have been learning to skip docks using a jig. I am starting to get pretty good at it, but I am having a terrible problem with my jig trailers sliding down when I do a lot of skipping. I am using a Jakked Baits 3/8 and 1/2 ounce jig with three different trailers: Rage Craws, Berkley Chigger Craw Crazy Legs, and Gene Larew Salt Craws. I have tried super glueing and that seems to help, but it seems like as soon as I glue a trailer on, I end up tearing off the claws. Also, the glue seems to deteriorate the jig skirt if it gets any on there. 

This has proved to be a great way for me to catch bass on Lake of the Ozarks, but I could really use some help keeping my trailers on better. Should I try a different trailer? Is there a better way to keep them on? Or, do I just need to accept that this is going to happen when skipping jigs under docks?

They have these, but I've never tried them...also, it depends a lot on the plastic keeper sections on the jig shank. Maybe find a jig with a collar and an extra keeper on the shank.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Hitch_SeriesTrailer_Keepers_The_Trailer_Hitch/descpage-HSTKPTH.html

50 minutes ago, moguy1973 said:

How about some superglue on the shaft of the hook before you slide the trailer up?

I have been experimenting with this. I'm still not sure it is worth the trouble. I will continue to try it though. 

28 minutes ago, Al Agnew said:

You can make your own bait buttons by using a paper punch and punching little discs out of a plastic coffee can lid.  Slightly larger than these, but translucent and work the same way.

I do something like that with spinnerbait trailer hooks. I just cut a small piece of a McDonald's straw and use it to hold the spinnerbait trailer hook in place. 

It's pretty much just a hassle you'll have to put up with.  Like you I've given up on gluing. I go through at least a 1/2 bag of craws every day whether I take the time to glue them or not.   Rage craws are the worst, they hit cables and stuff and just tear right off.   Zoom super speed craws and Critter craws/Guido bugs don't rip off near as bad for me.

I've never tried them but I can't imagine the bait buttons doing anything to help the issue.