OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
trey

First fish on the fly 2010- A thank you post

I was 12 years old in the summer of 2010. My family is from Texas and we made a stop in Branson while my dad was at a business conference in St. Louis. Trout were a fish completely unknown to me but I told my aunt i wanted to catch one. She drove us to the dam at Lake Taneycomo. I was throwing a zebco with a rooster tail when two ladies in waders started to talk to us. One of the ladies asked if I wanted to try fishing. She spent an hour explaining and showing me how to fly fish. We picked up four trout drifting midges in that one hour. My aunt and I gave a big thank you and she was on her way. I won't ever forget it.

Now, 7 years later, I have three fly rods and have caught 13 species on them. Living in Texas, mostly I catch bass and catfish, but I hit trout streams any time we drive by them. I can't imagine my life without fly fishing. The last few weeks, Ive been thinking back to the day that lady showed me such incredible kindness. It makes me wish I could see her and thank her again. Ive been wanting to throw out a post like this for a while. If anyone can recognize her from the picture let her know I said thank you.

lFOQNxXVR6vBW54mmvMdn5EY0BvLS9tRIdo3G9iE

FrtVNUQahKslLbahMKoUFAmRCdTktlnVY3gBbET7

I'm not positive but I think I've seen them down there before.

I grew up only fly fishing because that's what my dad did.  An old dude at Bennet introduced me to spin fishing with jigs.  I think they called him Old Dubber.  I was probably 10 or 11 at the time.  I went home and bought all of the stuff to make a spinning rod because I couldn't afford to buy one.  I still have it and I laugh at how poorly I did.  One of the guides is off center.  But hey I was in a hurry to get it done. That would've been around 1971.

IMG_2986.JPG