The woods are full of fungus!

So much rain here in BilletHeadVille,

One thing about it is it makes the shrooms burst forth.  Still seeing chanterelles pop but kind of ignoring them until this weekend when the Mrs. can help me pick them. But I could not stand not taking a woods walk today. First thing I stumbled upon was some Hygrophorus Milky. Scored on a half dozen! Picked and tried some a couple years ago. Tasty and have hoped for more ever since that find,

0705171437 - Copy.jpg

0705171437a - Copy.jpg

More prowling I found a chicken of the woods. Got part of it picked,

0705171441 - Copy.jpg

A bit more looking and I found a first for me. Hedgehog. Three in fact and there are a few more peeking through the moss blanket. Looking forward to the taste test,

0705171454 - Copy.jpg

0705171455_HDR - Copy.jpg

Cinnabar chants are starting too here,

0705171457 - Copy.jpg

Not looking I still found chanterelles and picked some,

0705171523 - Copy.jpg

Black staining polypore,

0705171530 - Copy.jpg

Old man of the woods,

0705171538 - Copy.jpg

0705171542 - Copy.jpg

0705171542a - Copy.jpg

Fun walk, hot, sweaty and mosquitos of course,

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

I did a drive by on y 4 wheeler this evening (after an inch of rain in about 20 minutes) through a spot than burned off last year, no funji waved their arms or called out, and I just am not excited enough by them to go brave the skeeters, ticks, chiggers and poison ivy.  I suspect there are plentry around, but the spirit was unwilling and the flesh weak.

Nice bunch of mushrooms. We just got some heavy rain today. Can't wait to see what we can find by this weekend☺. Never did get out to water those chants since it rained today.

When Mrs. BilletHead got home from work I sliced and sautéed the hedgehogs in a bit of butter. Tried them on crackers.  HOT DANG!  Pretty tasty. Another one off the bucket list. John have you tried to sauté any of the minnows you caught off your bucket list? :)

BilletHead

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

I wanted to find some hedgehogs but not yet. I haven't had any minnows off my list... Yet! Pretty sure that the silversides I was catching in Delaware and Maryland would be good deep fried. Like the whitebait dishes I had in Ireland.

Have to ket you know how they are if I start keeping them for the skillet.

Back into the woods for more looking and some picking. Have some chicken of the woods enchiladas ready to come out of the oven. Spied some corals peeking out,

DSCF2592 - Copy.JPG

More Hygrophorus milky to be picked,

DSCF2594 - Copy.JPG

DSCF2596 - Copy.JPG

DSCF2595 - Copy.JPG

A no picker! Emetic Russula

DSCF2597 - Copy.JPG

Wood ears,

DSCF2599 - Copy.JPG

Todays haul,

DSCF2601.JPG

Chestnut bolete,

DSCF2604.JPG

Hygrophorus Milky,

DSCF2605.JPG

Had to pick the Chanterelles as I stumbled upon them too,

DSCF2606.JPG

BilletHead 

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

Yowza, 

Chicken of the woods enchiladas '

DSCF2607.JPG

DSCF2608.JPG

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

Got tired of waiting for my 6 pm conference call. Went out behind our lab and focused on orange and yellow:)! Found a couple of one and tow spots initially.

20170706_173401.jpg

Then found a larger group with bigger chants. Unlike some that may pass up these guys ;), I will harvest them when I can get them. Here's my total for 25 min in the woods. Now it's back to work for my call. Can't just spend all day in the woods until my wife gets home!

20170706_174604.jpg

With the fungus popping (I can almost hear it) we headed out to a chanterelle spot from last year. Started finding many small ones. Then a couple of nice groups of larger mushrooms like these.

20170706_203038.jpg

It's to be expected that there are fewer this year due to the lack of rain in comparison to last year, However, the Folly Fungus Foragers scored on a nice bunch of chanterelles this evening.

20170706_211315.jpg

Great score from the FFF. We love the Fungus among us! 

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead