HOLY SMOKES BATMAN! Carp on a fly!

You are going to like it friend. The ones I got to take were amazing. Fickle the swimming turds are. Good luck,

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

23 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

You are going to like it friend. The ones I got to take were amazing. Fickle the swimming turds are. Good luck,

BilletHead

Well any pointers you have would be appreciated. I used to fish for them when I was a kid and I know they can be a lot of fun. Being stealthy and casting well is not something I do well. :)

I have not thought about carp on a fly before seing the video above and the grass carp videos that are posted on OAF. Have read about "mulberry" flies. What other flies are good for carp? 

from what I know big nymphs, corn, bread, mulberry patterns.....Tim or one of the uber tiers hear would know better than I

....I saw somewhere that held a carp fly swap people tied up their faves and they pot lucked them so all involved got a bunch of flies..perhaps an OAF Carp fly swap?

If I understand how it worked let say 15 people signed up, then each would tie 15 of their best carp pattern and send them in self addressed Postal pouch etc then a volunteer would divy them up and send out..from what I can tell people had 20 or so flies each named by their creator.......

Carp Swap2013.png

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

3 hours ago, Flysmallie said:

Well any pointers you have would be appreciated. I used to fish for them when I was a kid and I know they can be a lot of fun. Being stealthy and casting well is not something I do well. :)

26 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

I have not thought about carp on a fly before seing the video above and the grass carp videos that are posted on OAF. Have read about "mulberry" flies. What other flies are good for carp? 

Well Ronnie and John you cold do as some on here and chum to your hearts content, throw something on your fly hook and sit and wait OR as I think you are in the sport be along the lines of finding fish and sight fishing, make a plan, a stalk and the execution of that plan. That is what worked for me. Small damsels and dragonfly nymph flies. Actually my best has been small sparse buggars. Size 12 and 14. Black's, brown's, olive's. Any crawfish colors. Best to find one feeding fish. The more he is feeding the better he will respond. Groups of fish can be tough. Too many eyes and fish senses working in unison :) .

BilletHead

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

9 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

Yeah I'm only interested in sight fishing for them. I've read that the damsel nymphs can be good but after looking at all the patterns that are out there it seems they just need to be buggy and in front of a fish. 

Yep and smallish sized although I had a grass carp chase a size two minnow once but turn off at the last second. I fooled him I switched to a small bugger and took him on the follow up cast!

8 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

A little peanut butter smeared into the fur probably helps.

Haven't you got flowers to plant or a motor to work on? A single wheatie strawberry flavored is the answer,

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead