Last minute trip to Louisianna... Any advice welcome

So work decided i get to go on another trip here week after next to go along with my already jam packed summer and crazy life...  

I'll be staying the week just outside of New Orleans, but wondered if there is anything down around that area worth me packing an extra bag of fish stuff?  Paging @Plastic_worm as I know you are down there quite a bit buddy.  I never picked up a larger fly rod with my biggest being a 6wt.  Prefer to just take the fly rod as it fits nicely in my fish gear pack.  May only get a few hours here and there, but I'll have a rental car to go explore with.

Thanks in advance!

You should definitely fish if possible. You can use 6 weight rod just be cool about it and don't try to hero a Redfish in too quickly. 

Plastic worm is the man; In just a guy desperate to get back down there. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

Yeah I am hoping for at least one half day.  I'll have a coworker with me who I may try to split a half day guide trip with.  Rates weren't too bad for the inshore red chasing and speck hunting.  

If I had a few days to myself I'd try to figure it out on my own, but may only have a few hours to work with in the evening.  If you wanna bring your boat on down and guide for us Ham you can hot bunk with us LOL.  I'm sure we can squeeze meals and drinks in on the corporate card too!  We'll be gone all during the day though :)   

Also the WWII museum was recommended to me so we are going to try and squeeze that in as well.  I heard its pretty amazing.

1 minute ago, JestersHK said:

Yeah I am hoping for at least one half day.  I'll have a coworker with me who I may try to split a half day guide trip with.  Rates weren't too bad for the inshore red chasing and speck hunting.  

If I had a few days to myself I'd try to figure it out on my own, but may only have a few hours to work with in the evening.  If you wanna bring your boat on down and guide for us Ham you can hot bunk with us LOL.  I'm sure we can squeeze meals and drinks in on the corporate card too!  We'll be gone all during the day though :)   

Also the WWII museum was recommended to me so we are going to try and squeeze that in as well.  I heard its pretty amazing.

Man, I so wish I could. My wife will want to kill me, but I'd love to buy an aluminum CC with a salt water safe trailer for a couple trips a year to salt water. 

You should be successful. Unbelievable fishing. 

The WW2 museum is Very Good. I hate they chopped a StG 44 for a display. I'd love a Sturmgewehr. 

If you're ever in London, Go to the Imperial War Museum. It's good too. 

I'll leave the fishing recommendations to others. Research places to eat and get some good Cajun/Creole food while you're there. 

John

6 minutes ago, ness said:

I'll leave the fishing recommendations to others. Research places to eat and get some good Cajun/Creole food while you're there. 

I second this.  not sure whats in season.  not oysters or crawfish though. but i suppose they always have the farm raised which prob dont taste much different.  dont htink id know the difference.

I'm traveling with a local guy who already has a few places picked out.  Can't wait for some shrimp and grits.  Somehow with all that water he has never got into fishing... crazy to me,  but I'm going to try and change that. 

Good luck buddy! Try to fish in the daylight for a change and get some great fish photos☺!

I'll be jealous. Haven't fished in LA. I know you will eat well.

8 hours ago, JestersHK said:

I'm traveling with a local guy who already has a few places picked out.  Can't wait for some shrimp and grits.  Somehow with all that water he has never got into fishing... crazy to me,  but I'm going to try and change that. 

While they might have added shrimp and grits to meet demand, that's not a Louisiana thing. That's a low country South Carolina thing. I like Shrimp and Grits a lot. 

Louisiana rawfish when in season and Fuld Shrimp are better. You can taste the difference, but other crawfish and shrimp are still tasty. 

11 hours ago, Johnsfolly said:

Good luck buddy! Try to fish in the daylight for a change and get some great fish photos☺!

I'll be jealous. Haven't fished in LA. I know you will eat well.

Haha thanks brother, I think I'll avoid fishing at night from the shore.  That whole gator thing lol.  

Hoping to get at least one trout down there so I can check off another state...

I'll try to do a good trip report too.