Gravois Arm this week

moguy1973

I went out Sunday and got skunked although I lost a nice one that would have probably went around 3lbs or so on topwater.  Went out this morning and caught this decent short on a senko and another 8" spot on a crank.  LOZ is such a nice lake but I guess it gets really slow like that when the water temps get upwards of 85-87 degrees.  Still haven't figured out how to catch them around the docks but I guess only going about once a year doesn't give you much time to learn.

IMG_0264.jpg

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

They usually get deep on brush when the water warms up; 10" power worms in red shad, tequila sunrise, or watermelon red are a good bet to start.  Find the thermocline and start looking at that depth - you would be surprised how many brushpiles Wrench and Warrior have sunk out there under cover of darkness...

Mike

Moguy, As for docks this time of the year you will either find the bass suspended under the shade of them, or down near the bottom in the shade of them.  Brush isn't always required but on some days it is.    If you catch a few suspended and choose to just run that pattern then fish the biggest docks in the area, and the first and last dock in a row of docks.  A big worm with a light (1/8-3/16) unpegged weight on heavy (20#) line is a good way to catch them.  Just toss it right alongside the dock or up into the wells and let it fall about 12 ft. on a semi-slack line, pay close attention and set the hook anytime something just doesn't seem right.   I'm all fired up about this "spoon jackin'" thing that James Watson does....but so far I can't make it work better than the big slow falling worm when they are just hanging suspended under the docks.

If they are on the bottom it's hard to beat a 3/4 jig to cover a bunch of water fast.  If your first few bites happen over clean bottom just stay with the jig, or you can start playing with Shakey heads, drop shots, and all manner of stupidity,  but if you start getting bites in brush then try a  5/16-3/8 Texas rigged worm.   If the worm bite isn't making you happy then try a swim jig or slow roll a spinnerbait over the brushpiles cuz sometimes (more times than not actually) they want something just bumping into and swimming over the pile instead of slowly crawling around in the middle of it.

• Members

Wrench, would those be good patterns to try in main-lake coves as well?  I gather that most folks are fishing upstream to avoid the traffic this time of year... but a family event will have us staying in the MM14 area next week.  First time on LOZ.

Fishing is S L O W right now for LOZ standards.  The locals are struggling to bring in 15lbs in weeknight tourneys, 12lbs is getting checks..  Pattern?  Pick one, or three and you can catch a few fish.  My best spots have been brushpiles in 8-15 fow with a 1/4oz shaky head and small worms in just about any color.

I have yet to find fish stacked on a point.

39 minutes ago, NebSchmidty said:

Wrench, would those be good patterns to try in main-lake coves as well?  I gather that most folks are fishing upstream to avoid the traffic this time of year... but a family event will have us staying in the MM14 area next week.  First time on LOZ.

Absolutely, IF you can fish those areas well.   It's a waste of time even trying if you have 2+ft. wakes trying to slam you into the docks and you're fighting the trolling motor excessively just to hold your position.   When it becomes more like work and less like fun it is time to find calmer water.

34 minutes ago, shrapnel said:

I have yet to find fish stacked on a point.

It's been several years since I have either.  Little flat spots along the bank at 12-18' are really the only places where I consistently find "schools" of keeper bass.   Points are pretty much worthless to me unless they happen to have a flat spot somewhere on them at the right depth.  The fact that it is "on a point" is totally irrelevant.

• Members
1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

Absolutely, IF you can fish those areas well.   It's a waste of time even trying if you have 2+ft. wakes trying to slam you into the docks and you're fighting the trolling motor excessively just to hold your position.   When it becomes more like work and less like fun it is time to find calmer water.

That's the concern I have with where we're staying (not my call to make though).  My hope is if I fish the weekdays prior to 9am and after ~8pm then I can hop between a few nearby pockets/coves and avoid the brunt of what you just described.  Now if that's not even possible due to the sheer number of crazies, then maybe I'm better off saving some mpg's and leaving the boat at home.

Bring the boat - the lake is all ways fishable sunup to 0930 - I was down the week of the 4th and out every day early with no issues.  It DO get rough by 1030 and stays that way until 7pm or so when it is time to get out again as the lake calms and the fish move up.  They will get shallower around light after dark but In daylight I still do best in cooler, deeper water this time of year - as stated fishing docks mid day is real tough on your hull and motor cowling with the ocean liners moving you 8-10' in one swell....there is deep structure holding fish away from obstacles you just have to hunt it up.

Mike