Fishing the Big on the Hottest Day of the Year

ejcoale33

• Members

Went out for a weekend overnight fishing trip this past weekend... It was hot. Real hot. 

We had the trip planned for a few weeks - so against our better judgement we went ahead and went anyway. We have fished the Big River several times, but never when it was this hot. We weren't sure what it would do to the fishing - the results surprised us. 

We actually did pretty good, all things considered. I caught 13 on Saturday, and 16 on Sunday - good mix of browns, largies and a few spots. The buddy I was with did about the same numbers wise. We also pulled out two 19 inch largies... one was probably close to 4lbs, the other one was over 3lbs but not quite 4lbs. The second bigger largie got hung up on some underwater brush, so i went diving for him and was able to pull him out from under the tree.

All and all, the heat didn't seem to bother them too much - has anyone else ever seen high temps affect the fishing activity on the Big? 

IMG_1880.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Nice fish. It's often seems that river fishing gets better the hotter it is.  I suspect there is a point where it is too hot but anymore my level of discomfort is reached before the fishes level. 

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

NIce catching!  Couple of really nice ones.   I waded a small section of the big around Terre du lac last saturday, fished about 4 hours with 2 inch swimmin minnow.  Caught probably 50 or more fish, but all dinks (mix of SM, LM, longear, bluegill, green sunfish, and a crappie).  I love fishing the river this time of year, the water stays so much cooler than lakes, it can make a 100 degree day quite tolerable.