Trolling motor problems...

troywaukee

• Members

You guys might be able to help me out.  My Motorguide is having some issues that I can't figure out.  24 volt system and batteries were replaced last fall.

This year I've noticed that even though we seem to be getting a full charge (using onboard charger and spot checking with a trickle charger), the trolling motor is barely pushing the boat around.  No matter what speed I choose, it just creeps along.  I checked my wiring recently to make sure I didn't hook up the jumper between the batteries incorrectly.

I'm wondering at this point if either A...there is a leak in the lower unit causing damage, B...there is corrosion/build up on the armature (or bad springs) or C...it is as simple as a breaker being tripped.

Since it is a 24 volt system, I assume there is a breaker for each battery?  Is it possible for one breaker to trip and the other not to?

My handyman background is limited and I know there are some fellas on here that have a thousand times the knowledge I do.  Any help or suggestions for what to check is greatly appreciated!

I would pull the prop and check the shaft to make sure you don't have a ball of line around the shaft or check the connections at the batteries and breaker first. Mike

First check voltage at the plug to make sure you have 24v to the motor controls.

If so, pull the prop and make sure there isn't a buildup of fishing line/rope/ect. and that the drive pin is intact.

If everything is good there then you have a genuine problem.  

I'd be happy to look at it for you....but I'm headed to the river and won't be back until Monday AM.

• Members
26 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

First check voltage at the plug to make sure you have 24v to the motor controls.

If so, pull the prop and make sure there isn't a buildup of fishing line/rope/ect. and that the drive pin is intact.

If everything is good there then you have a genuine problem.  

I'd be happy to look at it for you....but I'm headed to the river and won't be back until Monday AM.

Wrench, I appreciate the offer!  I've got the boat stored at the lake, but am in Iowa until next Wednesday.  I've checked the shaft/prop on multiple occasions with no build up.  The one thing I haven't done is check the voltage at the plug, but will bring voltmeter with me next week. 

One thing I forgot to mention, when the motor is out of the water and I go to spin it, it doesn't spin without force.  I have to push it to turn and there is no free spinning once I take my hand off. 

I don't think that is normal...

• Members
31 minutes ago, Krazo said:

How old is the TM?

I inherited this boat a couple years ago.  I'm guessing TM is about 7 years old now.  1989 Ranger 373V which is in fantastic shape because of how well my wife's grandfather took care of his boat.  It has a 2008 Yamaha 150 VMax and this Motorguide TM which I believe is 75 lb thrust.  I'm 5 hours away from the boat right now so can provide any model information.

• Members
8 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Nope that's not normal.  You may have a magnet loose in the motor.

Wrench - does that fall into the "genuine problem" category you pointed out earlier?  Just wondering if I should be looking into a replacement this fall/winter...

• Members

Thanks for giving me a ballpark idea, appreciate it.  Going to try and rule out everything mentioned prior to really getting into the lower unit.  With it being older, not sure the best option would be repair vs. replace at this point if it is major.  Thanks for all your input guys.  I'll let you know what the final diagnosis is!