Troubles at Mizzou

huntest

I'll not say too much more, but it legitimately does cause me pain to see the state of Missouri turning on its flagship university.

Missouri is going through a rough time, for sure. Some of that is self-inflicted, most of it is a result of a lack of funding from the legislature meant to "punish" the school for 2015, whatever the heck that means. This is not a political statement, rather a statement of fact. The degree I received at Mizzou won't be offered much longer because of that. So yes, I'm sad and more than a little bitter. This isn't a game, or a silly political statement. It's affecting the lives of many young people in the state of Missouri. I only ask you think about that a little before you make your next cringe-inducing wise-crack about how those liberals have Mizzou headed into the crapper. 

So no, things aren't perfect. This doesn't mean everyone who didn't choose to attend Mizzou actually has to start circling the school like vultures. 

Have a good evening, and Go Tigers!

8 hours ago, ozark trout fisher said:

The degree I received at Mizzou won't be offered much longer because of that. So yes, I'm sad and more than a little bitter.

That's a good point, OTF.  Many smaller programs are in jeopardy, and it isn't just philosophy and underwater basket weaving.  If you're a medical or engineering program where professors are bringing in a few million dollars annually from NIH or DoD grants, you're safe.  If you're an ag or natural resources program where profs bring in a fraction of that money annually, your future is uncertain.  It means the students planning to go back home and take over the family farm may not receive the education to do it sustainably, in an ecologically conscious manner, which doesn't harm fish and wildlife habitat. It means we have fewer and less qualified students who'll become our conservation agents, our foresters, and our management biologists.  That's a situation which directly, negatively impacts all of us. 

6 hours ago, SpoonDog said:

That's a good point, OTF.  Many smaller programs are in jeopardy, and it isn't just philosophy and underwater basket weaving.  If you're a medical or engineering program where professors are bringing in a few million dollars annually from NIH or DoD grants, you're safe.  If you're an ag or natural resources program where profs bring in a fraction of that money annually, your future is uncertain.  It means the students planning to go back home and take over the family farm may not receive the education to do it sustainably, in an ecologically conscious manner, which doesn't harm fish and wildlife habitat. It means we have fewer and less qualified students who'll become our conservation agents, our foresters, and our management biologists.  That's a situation which directly, negatively impacts all of us. 

Yes, I graduated from the Forestry program...and I'm here to tell you it is a pretty good one. And perhaps more importantly, it is was the only one in the state of Missouri. Now it won't exist because the money just isn't there. It isn't there because the legislature keeps cutting funding, either because they do not value post-secondary ed, or to send some nebulous "message". 

Now it is no longer offered to incoming students, and people of that field are being directed to a major called "Natural Resource Science Management" which is not even specific to forestry (or fisheries and wildlife, for that matter). Look, some of you may not care about things like forest ecology or preservation of rare woodland plants. I'm not here to try to indoctrinate you on that. I am here to tell you that timber is one of the biggest businesses in the state, especially in the Ozarks, and that having people who can capably manage those forests to insure more or less perpetual financial return is kind of important to the economy of our state.  And the state of Missouri has leaned very heavily on Mizzou graduates in the past. Not sure what happens now. Either they look elsewhere or hire people who have less specialized training and presumably come in with a skillset that wasn't what it has been.

So this is not only saddening from a personal perspective, it's something that is going to hurt our state down the line. Not least some loggers, sawmill owners, and other industry people that are almost certainly amongst the ones hating on "Liberal Mizzou." 

Yes, I took a job based out of another state because of this climate. There were good jobs in Missouri that I could have taken, but I didn't want to be swimming upstream for the entirety of my career. That makes me sad. Maybe I would return to the state if something changes, but that is hard to see.

After trying for over 2 years after graduating from Mizzou with a Fisheries and Wildlife degree and working for MDC and Mizzou for minimum wage with no benefits, I moved on.  Salaried jobs are few and far in between with MDC and lets just say I wasn't what the State was looking for to fill their entry level positions in the early '90s.  The good thing is the degree was useful for other things non-fisheries or wildlife related jobs (i.e. environmental).  Some of my visits from DNR inspectors for wastewater, hazardous waste,  and stormwater have the good ole Mizzou Fisheries and Wildlife Degree.  Somehow that message wasn't translated to the students that particular reality, but anyhow, just my 2 cents worth.  

9 hours ago, mhall02 said:

After trying for over 2 years after graduating from Mizzou with a Fisheries and Wildlife degree and working for MDC and Mizzou for minimum wage with no benefits, I moved on.  Salaried jobs are few and far in between with MDC and lets just say I wasn't what the State was looking for to fill their entry level positions in the early '90s.  The good thing is the degree was useful for other things non-fisheries or wildlife related jobs (i.e. environmental).  Some of my visits from DNR inspectors for wastewater, hazardous waste,  and stormwater have the good ole Mizzou Fisheries and Wildlife Degree.  Somehow that message wasn't translated to the students that particular reality, but anyhow, just my 2 cents worth.  

Just like any degree, it is not a guarantee of success. You might have long years of temp job's at $10/hour. Sorry but 2 years isn't at all atypical to wait for a good job, in fact that is exceedingly common. Doesn't mean it's a dead end. This is a profession where you are expected to pay your dues.

I was lucky to get a job w/salary and benefits right off (I also participated in research every summer during undergrad and generally made darn sure I had a resume that stood out).

But let me tell you, I often work 60-70+ hours per week, so in reality I'm very likely actually (scratch that, certainly) making less on a per hour basis. I'm not giving out numbers, but we are talking a monthly figure that keeps me on the right side of the poverty line, but just barely.

I don't even slightly give a darn. I love what I do, wouldn't trade it for anything. It isn't always easy to make ends meet, but it is what it is. You pursue a career like forestry or Fisheries and Wildlife because it is the lifestyle you want, not because you are gonna be totally (or even a little) financially secure for awhile. Because you won't be.

My friends/coworkers  are mostly in the same boat, and sorry, but I'm here to tell you we're a hell of a lot happier than your average bunch of, say, engineers. 

For reference only:

Are you still working in the same field in which you received your degree?

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

58 minutes ago, Mitch f said:

For reference only:

Well, I work in the woods, not a field, but yes. :)

1 hour ago, Mitch f said:

For reference only:

I know you were asking OTF but I will say that I never worked in the field of mine, never even attempted to. But I also don't think I would be where I am without that experience. 

Well to be fair it wasn't all that perfect. I briefly tried out the journalism school at Missouri before realizing I'd rather be doing almost literally anything else.