Fishing but not catching

tapout

I've been out around the State Park Marina last two days. Rain Rain Rain yesterday. Started at 7 and quit at noon. I expected good things and instead the results weren't much: topwater = 0, crankbait = 0, spinnerbait = 0, jig = 1 smallie, dropshot =1 kentucky, and of course ned rig = 8 mixture of all 3 (no mean mouth). 10 fish ain't skunked but the only fish that might have measured broke off as I lifted it over the side of the boat as I forgot my net (it was on ned and I didn't count it, almost 11).  I worked the bank out to about 35 feet.

So today, wednesday, I head back out around 730am. Windy. I fished hard till 10am and only caught one kentucky on a dropshot at the very end of the day. Otherwise crankbait, spinnerbait, jig, flutter spoon, and ned all zeroed. Fished the bank out to about 40 feet.

Besides this report about last two days, my previous three trips over last couple weeks were similar.

I'm in a massive slump for sure. I never do well in August but this year I'm really off. To those of you catching them, my hat is off. Where are the deep fish? My flutter spoon and dropshot are feeling neglected.

I'd like to thank my FUTURE sponsers: Falcon Rods, Jewel Bait Co, and Seagar

I feel your pain.  I had been on them the last couple weeks (see my reports) every day using dropshot on long gravel points in 20 fow but the last two days nada. 

I can see them (on the graph) but they can't see my bait - I think they may have been looking at the ellipse without proper eye protection and went blind.:D

I won second place last Wednesday evening with 3 fish limit of 4.42 lbs. on Beaver. First was 5 something. It's just flat out tough right now. To make it more confusing I caught a LM in about 3 ft of water. The other 2 keeps were on drop shot at 20 fow. Hang in there it will get better soon. High water and funky weather has them scattered and confused. 

11 minutes ago, Sore Thumbs said:

I won second place last Wednesday evening with 3 fish limit of 4.42 lbs. on Beaver. First was 5 something. It's just flat out tough right now. To make it more confusing I caught a LM in about 3 ft of water. The other 2 keeps were on drop shot at 20 fow. Hang in there it will get better soon. High water and funky weather has them scattered and confused. 

Or was it the Russians?:lol:

right now on the lower end, there are two groups of fish to go for.  some are very shallow, and the other group is 25 to 30 ft. deep.

looking for deeper bass often requires to leave the rods on the deck and just go looking with your electronics.  shallow bass often requires looking with you eyes to watch for shad activity.

with the higher water levels, and the amount of water being moved through the lake, don't assume the bass will be where you think they should be.  only the bass know where they will be, and that will not be far from food.  also, many bass are just remaining out in the lake following bait around.  and if you spend the time looking, you will find bass and food are scattered everywhere.  the trick to catching them is to find a place where they have laid down to rest from their shad chasing.  everyday is different.

bo

I been down the last two weekends and noticed the jig bite or drop shot was best. I drop shotted around the 25 ft mark on bluff ends where the shad drift through the main channel and the kentuckies were sitting there waiting for a snack.... Seemed like if u got bit and it was a keeper, then there is many more of close to the same size together

And the jig bite seemed best by docks close to deep water or with a little breeze blowing in on them.

We went out yesterday Thursday, and tried a number of spots around where bobby b fishes. We had the same result he did. Bass were on the graph but weren't interested in anything we threw. So we had fun trying to catch bluegills. WT 82.6-83.3

tough day for sure. 

Mike

5 hours ago, Champ188 said:

Typical August lull. It will get better in a few weeks. 

By a "few" I assume you mean three?

Figures, cause we're coming in TWO!

Even when I'm right, I'm wrong.

That's OK though - absolutely cannot wait to get there no matter what the fishing's like!

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.