Spotted/Kentucky Food Fish

jte54

12 hours ago, Gavin said:

Good luck, they don't grow very fast and they don't get bigger than 15" very often. You would be better off finding uses for Asian & Common carp.

Exactly my thought.  Rather than spend some outrageous amounts of money (probably from some tax-supported, ding-a-ling Government "grant" ) trying to raise and sell a game-fish, go cast your nets in the Mississippi, Missouri or Illinois Rivers and take all you want of the Silver and Bighead invasive Carp.  Or...even better tasting....raise Bluegill to the size where you just put the whole fish in a meat grinder and then deep-fry the results which cooks out all the scales, bones and other undesirables.  

3 hours ago, magicwormman said:

Explain this..............................Viet Nam catfish taste delicious! I don't even like the taste of local catfish, I prefer Crappie, whitebass, and bluegill. Flat Creek, Ma's and the Filling Station ALL get their catfish from the same supplier (yes, it does come from Nam).

And that's exactly why I won't eat Agent Orange Catfish from Nam at any of those joints.  We've stopped patronizing any of those restaurants. 

There are still plenty of American Catfish Farmers to buy from but the contaminated crap that is raised/fed on god-knows-what from Nam is always cheaper.....and not good for you.

Catfish Cabin in Eureka Springs prides itself on serving only U.S. raised catfish. 

Always check the origin of the catfish you consume and reject the junk from SE Asia.  Recently, the USDA has discovered those imported fish are loaded with Antibiotics that the growers use in large quantities.   

8 hours ago, MoCarp said:

Fishinwrench, its those "dipchit" fisheries wizard's boneheaded ideas that figured out how to spawn paddlefish, or figure out how to breed triploid brown trout that reach 25# in 5 years, just to name a few that effect Missouri anglers....why are you so salty?

Oh man, you have stepped in it now !  😉

How have we benefitted from the spawning of Paddlefish?  That operation costs taxpayers Millions annually ("I read that somewhere") and what do we get out of it?   Spoonbill snaggers bring nothing to the table in comparison to what is spent to provide them with the opportunity.  After the short season the banks are littered with dead sub-legal fish that have had their sides ripped open, and you can't do anything with the eggs or you'll go to prison.   Ecologically they do nothing to control plankton and the shad population.  The whole idea and operation borders on insanity. Let's just piss away millions of taxpayers hard earned dollars for the hell of it while we ignore important things, like honestly protecting more valuable native species.

Although I love to catch Hybrid Stripers, the breeding and stocking of them is no more beneficial than the spoonbill stupidity, and may actually be detrimental to the ecosystem as they try, and often succeed in breeding with the native White Bass and screwing up the native gene pool.....so there's even more money wasted there. And a creation of a potential problem that can never be reversed.

You can't compare any of that rediculousness to the Trout program because trout anglers are way more numerous and each one of them bring more than their fair share to the table economically.  The trout program is a smart one.  The others are nothing more than ignorant BS created by a bunch of douchebags looking for projects to secure the future of their phoney baloney jobs.

Now whatcha got?  😎