Ultrex review?

Dan the fisherman

I was planning on getting one for the new rig but after reading 2 hrs online I'm thinking I'll go a different route.  There's lots of reviews with units going back and being replaced up to 3 times.  Does n e one here have n e experience with the minn Kota ultrex.  I'm thinking I may just get another tevorra 

I'm telling ya, if go look at an Xi5 in a saltwater series if in were you. The spot lock and tracking ability is much better than Terrova. 

My Terrova wonders and roams often.  Accuracy is 5 times better on Motorguide from everything I've read.  Hate that in had to be stubborn and stuck with my preference of Minnkota over Motorguide. 

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

I've read about a lot of issues with the Xi5 too. Maybe they have them figured out now, but last I checked, there were a lot of complaints from guys who owned them for a while.

I do wish they'd put the Ultrex spot lock technology on the Terrova, though. It's suppose to be more accurate. My Terrova is accurate enough for my use, but it would not hurt to have it be a bit better.

John B

08 Skeeter SL210, 225F Yamaha

22 hours ago, J-Doc said:

I'm telling ya, if go look at an Xi5 in a saltwater series if in were you. The spot lock and tracking ability is much better than Terrova. 

My Terrova wonders and roams often.  Accuracy is 5 times better on Motorguide from everything I've read.  Hate that in had to be stubborn and stuck with my preference of Minnkota over Motorguide. 

I need the Ipilot link or else I'd go with motor guide.  I loved linking the humminbird to old tevorra.  I wanna continue that. 

On 9/13/2017 at 10:38 PM, J-Doc said:

I have one I love it, but the wireless foot pedal leaves much to be desired.

Once they get the control board issues fixed with the foot pedal, the Ultrex will be the best thing out there. Hopefully they are to that point. I'm still waiting to see how things go for Brett since he got the most updated board installed.

2 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I haven't had mine long enough for a problem to appear but so far it's awesome.

How accurate is the spot lock feature?  My Terrova will roam around generally a 10-20ft radius, not the 5ft it is advertised with. 

I've researched and spoken to Minn Kota about my issues and they just want me to ship it to them.  They say the unit needs to be as far away from ferrous metal as possible.  Hey dudes.......the trolling motor mount use ferrous metal!  So mine is most accurate when I raise the shaft to get the head as far away from the mount as possible.  But I have a 48" shaft (that's what my Fortrex was) and so I cannot get it very high or it's out of the water when I stand on the back deck or in choppy water.  If I had a 60" shaft, "maybe" I could get a 10ft tight radius.  My boat hull is shallow and is very susceptible to wind drift so that's another factor. The trolling motor tends to over-correct.

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!