Howdy

Ozarks Chillbilly

Probably not well. The thing is the fish are rough. You catch a 18 inch ladyfish and the line will be frayed up about 24 inches. They are hard on line. They usually aren't that skittish. I've used 20lb flouro with decent results. Braid works too but it doesn't turn a fly well. There are some wire leaders that look promising but I haven't tried them.

I usually carry a few extra leaders and a half dozen clousers. Head in when those are gone. They are hard on flies to.

I've only had a few fish take me into my backing. Those all came in two days on the beach. And those fish were into the backing almost immediately. There was no slowing or turning those fish. It was just a whole bunch of hoping that I didn't lose my fly line. Still have no idea what any of them were. 

23 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

Probably not well. The thing is the fish are rough. You catch a 18 inch ladyfish and the line will be frayed up about 24 inches. They are hard on line. They usually aren't that skittish. I've used 20lb flouro with decent results. Braid works too but it doesn't turn a fly well. There are some wire leaders that look promising but I haven't tried them.

I usually carry a few extra leaders and a half dozen clousers. Head in when those are gone. They are hard on flies to.

I've only had a few fish take me into my backing. Those all came in two days on the beach. And those fish were into the backing almost immediately. There was no slowing or turning those fish. It was just a whole bunch of hoping that I didn't lose my fly line. Still have no idea what any of them were. 

That sounds exhilarating! I'll probably pack a bunch of flouro in different tests and a few leaders to tie them on to. Hard to judge without being in the field.. or the surf in this case! 

I appreciate all the info. Looking forward to this trip already!

Live count (10/19/17) : Streamers lost to Taneycomo's Giant Squid = 12

1 hour ago, Ozarks Chillbilly said:

That sounds exhilarating! I'll probably pack a bunch of flouro in different tests and a few leaders to tie them on to. Hard to judge without being in the field.. or the surf in this case! 

I appreciate all the info. Looking forward to this trip already!

I have not much to add to this discussion that has not already been covered. Good luck when you head down to Florida. Can't wait to see a bunch of your posts!

On 9/19/2017 at 2:25 PM, Flysmallie said:

Ladyfish are everywhere and are pretty much considered trash fish. But they put up a hell of a fight and aerial display so I still like them. I've never been truly redfish fishing but have caught some off the beach. And that was all on a clouser. Tan and white is a killer. 

Your biggest point of concern is going to be a leader. Those fish are hard on things. All of them. 

About to order some bucktail, hooks, and eyes for some clousers. 

I have white and chartreuse bucktail already. Have tan, red, and light pink in the shopping cart. Tiemco TMC811S in size 4. 

How does this sound? Main concern is the hook size. 

2 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Blue and white can be deadly

That's great news cause I ended up ordering some spirit river UV2 Bucktails AQUA-BLUE as well. 

Excited to get these materials in and start stockpiling..... even though the trip is still 3 months out haha