OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
podum

Southern Colorado in September - Part Two

Day three was my favorite.  Last day in the mountains before the drive home.  Forecast of snow, rain and wind (we got the first two but not the wind, mercifully).  A local good friend as a guide on a small alpine stream at 12,000 feet, looking for wild brook trout and perhaps a cutthroat.  It snowed and sleeted in the morning and, per usual, the fishing was tough.  But it was pretty. 

SAM_0147.JPG

The fishing picked up in the late morning.  A dry fly day.  I'm no purist, but I love to see the take!  The brook trout had their spawning colors on and plenty of them were willing to play if you were stealthy. 

IMG_1073.JPG

I even got a cutthroat to complete the San Juan Mountain grand slam! 

IMG_1075.JPG

I use to live in Salida and always fished them little springs. Talked with my wife about going back up there for a visit..

oneshot

Great report! Thanks for sharing. Never been to CO in the fall, but really want to while I can still walk😄

Thanks Podum. We've conversed before on the Lake City area. Just can't find anyone else to go with me. On my list for retirement. Definitely want to see area  in the fall. 

I lived in Denver for a couple of years and through work I got to see all 4 corners of the state. Also some of Wyoming and Utah. I would go back out there in a heartbeat. I didn't get to do as much fishing as I would have liked but what I did get to do was amazing. I plan to get back one day and am gonna buy some property there.