11-26-17 Glaize Crappie

Seth

Thanks.  I've never targeted them from the boat...always chasing bass.  My "off the dock" crappie rod is a 5'6" light action with 6# line, sounds like I need a longer, heavier rod and lighter line to shoot well.  At least crappie gear doesn't break the bank!

Caught a nice 13.5" black this morning just messin around off the dock.

046sYQc4Q_700PKdxKWjA8Eb-KALx9h-nvT7C2xI

That setup will probably work fine for shooting 1/32oz jigs. Give it a try and see how it goes. Most dock shooters use 6# test anyways. I'm using 4# because I have a 2000 yard spool of the stuff. If I ever use it up, I will probably go with 6#.

That is a dandy black! My goal is to try and break the 15" mark this winter. The best I managed last year was a 13.5", but a buddy of mine caught several that were over the 2 pound mark.

All that up and down just ain't worth it from my perspective.  Poor ol' Mike's knees are gonna be shot in a couple years.   Crappie just aren't worth all that IMO.  I load the freezer when they are along the bank and easier to get to in the Spring, then I leave them be.    They don't fight hard, don't jump....I just don't get the fascination so many have for Crappie that they'll chase them all year long.    I guess they just get addicted to the "tick".   How many can you possibly eat?

Have at 'em.   I ain't doing 400 squat-thrusts for a dozen crappie.  

I bass fish May through October quite a bit. November is for the deer. December through March is crappie and trout time. March and April is crappie, white bass and paddlefish time. I can’t do the one species all the time deal. Gets old. I catch a lot of slabs vertical fishing with the long rod too, but it just aint nearly as fun as dock shootingis to me.

1 hour ago, Seth said:

I bass fish May through October quite a bit. November is for the deer. December through March is crappie and trout time. March and April is crappie, white bass and paddlefish time. I can’t do the one species all the time deal. Gets old. I catch a lot of slabs vertical fishing with the long rod too, but it just aint nearly as fun as dock shootingis to me.

Yep, me too.  I go through phases.  Trying to get me to go bass fishing when I'm in a trout phase, or river smallmouth fishing when I'm going through a White bass phase, is like pulling teeth.  I'd almost rather stay in the shop and work, or go shopping with my wife.

At the moment I'm in a White bass mood which kinda sucks because I'm not doing worth a crap catching THEM and it actually irritates me a little bit that I keep catching the crap out of decent Largemouth....cuz I'm not in the mood to do THAT now.   

"Oh it's another darn green bass, son of a....".

Pretty sure I'm a nut case.

Went out for an hour tonight in the Glaize.  Green fished for 30 min and didn't get bit so grabbed the crappie rod, went to a deep bank with docks and started side scanning...oh look fish...pitch jig....reel in fish, repeat.  Wish they were all that easy.  Didn't need to get under the docks, just pitching along them and in the stalls worked.  Kept 10 nice ones for some tacos.

3 hours ago, buckcreekmike said:

Not, me. I did watch it and got a serious jonesin’ to do some shooting though. Haven’t been to LOZ in a while. 

Crazy, that’s without a doubt south buck so I figured it was you. Bunch of high school yahoos I used to roll with spent a good amount of time partying on the land on that point... I did not partake.

On 12/1/2017 at 6:32 PM, shrapnel said:

Went out for an hour tonight in the Glaize.  Green fished for 30 min and didn't get bit so grabbed the crappie rod, went to a deep bank with docks and started side scanning...oh look fish...pitch jig....reel in fish, repeat.  Wish they were all that easy.  Didn't need to get under the docks, just pitching along them and in the stalls worked.  Kept 10 nice ones for some tacos.

Same deal for me and the wife this weekend. Fished off the docks for a bit Friday night and got a few. Saturday put the boat in and went looking for an isolated dock near the channel and first one we tried, we never left. Caught our fish pitching into the boat well close to the floats. But even in the middle of the well we were getting fish down to about 6 foot. Color did not seem to matter.

Dec Crappie.jpg

Di with big Crappie.jpg