Tough Crappie Wednesday

dan hufferd

That sounds real good ! I would bet that Truman is still 60 degrees.

The bait fish are everywhere in Stockton.

Thank you

3 hours ago, MrGiggles said:

I've been catching them here and there on bridge columns. Lately it's only been one or two and that's all though. If there's one upside, they're almost always big.

14"er caught last Thursday.

1QKoIcB.jpg?1

That is a dandy!! I fish there too.

In that exact spot 😀

Now that I have built a nice cabin that I frequent for a couple of days each week there is one  thing that is most evident, most of the corp piles marked or unmarked are hammered relentlessly. I am talking of what I witness in the Ruark area.  I kind of have to side with Walcrabass on the 12" length limit. The lake has probably never had a better forage base than it has at present, but the pressure has increased 10 fold over the last 5-10 years.  Massive numbers are being taken out on a daily basis. I just hope it can sustain the onslaught.

• Members

Thanks for the updates guys! I work so darned much that it's rare for me to get anywhere near enough me time in the outdoors. It's even rarer that I fish this time of year since what little time I do get, I normally spend bowhunting. Darned if my son and I aren't bringing the G3 out this Saturday to throw some tackle at the Stockton walleye and crappie. I was realizing to my wife that this will be the first time I've ever been on a lake this time of year without it being on the ice fishing for walleye, crappie, perch and pike on Devils Lake, N.D. and Twin Lakes Minnesota in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. 

Keep it coming...I don't talk a lot on here, but I sure pay attention to what you're saying!

One spring several years ago , my wife and I started trolling for crappie. We would fish late morning only, trolling various #7 flicker shad and flicker minnow. For 3 days we caught a 2 man limit every day. It was a blast. After the first day we only kept the fish that were bigger than the steering wheel on our boat which was about 12 inches.

I haven't seen days like that since. 

In secret I am hoping to find an 11 pound walleye sniffing around a crappie brush pile:D

Dan - after next week's cold front it'll be game on, with the dip in water temp. Look in places where the channel runs against a bluff or (harder to find, but golden) brushes against an underwater point. Pay close attention to any turns in those areas. This time of year, I'd be looking at 30-60 feet. Deep brush can hold the fish, but it's not needed. Just look for the schools, and drop your spoon on 'em.

Don't know if you ever saw this from a while back, but here's my take on winter fishing at Stockton:

I live in Florida now, but might get on the water there over the holidays--looking forward to it. I really miss this type of fishing! Good luck,

Mike

16 hours ago, powerdive said:

Dan - after next week's cold front it'll be game on, with the dip in water temp. Look in places where the channel runs against a bluff or (harder to find, but golden) brushes against an underwater point. Pay close attention to any turns in those areas. This time of year, I'd be looking at 30-60 feet. Deep brush can hold the fish, but it's not needed. Just look for the schools, and drop your spoon on 'em.

Don't know if you ever saw this from a while back, but here's my take on winter fishing at Stockton:

I live in Florida now, but might get on the water there over the holidays--looking forward to it. I really miss this type of fishing! Good luck,

Mike

I have heard about you, and your success on Stockton. Thank you for the suggestions, it will really be neat if I can figure it out !