Old pic

fishinwrench

18 hours ago, Al Agnew said:

That's definitely true when it comes to the White River dams.  The lower North Fork, according to many of the old timers, was the best fishing of all of them, though far less well known.  And not a whole lot of people knew much about how good the upper White was above the James.  Lower Kings must have been something, too.

A book that hits on many is:

Some recollections of an Ozarks float trip guide / Ted Sare 

Good read and tales 

“If a cluttered desk is a sign, of a cluttered mind, of what then, is an empty desk a sign?”- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

Back before we had a fish and game all fish where fair game however suckers where the most popular and fishwrench it dosent sound like you've talked with very many old time river men ever  heard of fish traps or tramel nets one day of useing those probably landed more fish than 99% of people get in a year and you should try gigging it's a blast and  a lot harder than it looks

On 12/30/2017 at 3:46 PM, grizwilson said:

A book that hits on many is:

Some recollections of an Ozarks float trip guide / Ted Sare 

Good read and tales 

I've got 3 of them I got from his wife. Just got done reading it for the umpteenth time last night. 

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

33 minutes ago, Jacob McIntosh said:

fishwrench it dosent sound like you've talked with very many old time river men ever  heard of fish traps or tramel nets one day of useing those probably landed more fish than 99% of people get in a year and you should try gigging it's a blast and  a lot harder than it looks

I was raised by old time river men, albeit it wasn't before "fish and game".   Plenty of experience with trammel nets, my dad, grandad and I have had to cut big holes in them after getting them wadded up on the prop of an outboard numerous times when I was younger.  I've watched commercial fishermen run their nets and never saw anything in them but catfish, buffalo and drum.  Never once saw a bass in one.  

Only thing I've ever gigged is bullfrogs, but I've watched fish giggers and it doesn't look too complicated, pretty sure I could get proficient at it overnight, just never had the desire to. 

I think things might be a bit better today but the popularity of everybobdcand yos bother out on the river and the distraction of the environment that come with it is not good but way back in yeasteryear they did worse and the rivers recovered wonder if that might happen again.  Back in my wife's grandfather day the they about  blew up the merames and the creek from Steelville to Sulivan. He told stories about his dinamite days. 

11 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

I've watched fish giggers and it doesn't look too complicated, pretty sure I could get proficient at it overnight, just never had the desire to. 

That's what everyone says so far the best I've seen a new guy do is four on his first night it's no where near as easy as it looks as for bass in the nets if you run one across a river and get a couple guys to walk fish down to it you get what ever hits it I've heard old timers talk about filling up  50 and 60 burlap sack with fish on a weekly basis if you ever want to give gigging a try my boat is open all season 

8 hours ago, Jacob McIntosh said:

That's what everyone says so far the best I've seen a new guy do is four on his first night it's no where near as easy as it looks as for bass in the nets if you run one across a river and get a couple guys to walk fish down to it you get what ever hits it I've heard old timers talk about filling up  50 and 60 burlap sack with fish on a weekly basis if you ever want to give gigging a try my boat is open all season 

I've done enough gigging back in my younger days to know that it isn't as easy as it looks, but a lot depends upon how much time you've spent on the water doing all kinds of other things.  Refraction makes judging the exact position of the fish difficult for many newbies, but if you're used to looking at stuff underwater, it's easier to judge.  I never had much problem in sticking suckers unless the water was deep enough the gig barely reached the fish.  However, all my gigging was done out of a canoe or a little johnboat being propelled by paddle.  Watching videos of gigging from jetboats, the boat is moving a lot faster, which would make it harder, I assume.

I've gigged from both small jon boats and now my own jet isI like how stable my jet is speed isnt a noticeable difference but we gig in a pretty slow strech of water hitting a moving target that is usually darting in different directions can be tricky but it's worth the trouble great tasting fish