How tough are you?

IL Fisherman

As we grow older i think our nerve sensors and blood circulation take a hit. I remember going to Grandmas house and it would be 80 degrees in house in the winter time and i could never understand why she kept it so hot in the winter time. Well as i grow older (64) i understand why and whats happening to a point, me having been a heavy equipment mechanic for years and then auto mechanic, welder fabricator as well,  has done damage to my hands and fingers either by smashing them burning and freezing them(did ac work also) with freon, so i believe this all contributes to my hands especially my finger tips getting cold even with good gloves on. If i was 30 years younger or even 15 years younger i would probably be out there at some point fishing in the cold weather.

I know everything about nothing and know nothing about everything!

Bruce Philips

I got tossed from the boat one February on Lake Fork. Water temp in the 40's air temp in the high 20's. My dad and cousin were with me and once I got back in the boat, not easy with all those clothes on, we started the 5 or 6 mile trip back to the ramp. We were way up in a creek in a bunch of timber that neither one of them were familiar with. They weren't sure where the boating lanes were and where you could really make a run. So after idling about 100 yards I decide to take over and took them on a ride that my cousin will never forget. It wasn't a dangerous ride but he wasn't expecting it. My dad knew it was best to hold on and keep his head down. He was never scared of my boat driving skills but he knew that sometimes it was just best to not look. :) 

On 12/29/2017 at 3:22 PM, TRRANGER said:

Fished Stockton one morning for club tourney, it was 16 deg at take off, my boat was in the garage as usual.  Hooked and went to the lake, 1 1/4 hour drive to ramp and we took off at a slow pace. Got to a point I like and after about 10 minutes had a fish on, pulled my measure board to check length, he measured but he also stuck to the board like the tongue to the flag pole, got water in livewell and was able to get  fish off the board. My buddy and I laugh about that to this day, been five or six year ago. It was sunny and calm that day got to about 40. Won that derby on a jerkbait caught fish all day it was a blast. My buddy will not longer fish with me when there is a jerkbait bite, I could not get him to get bit, gave him my rod, my jerkbait, front of the boat everything I could think of. Picked up his jerkbait rod and caught fish behind him. Fun time love winter basin.

You gotta love the jerkbait to fish it. It’s either love or hate with that thing. I personally love to fish them. Last year didn’t seem to be a good year to throw it. This year is already better for me. 

47 minutes ago, Gavin said:

The vagisil is in aisle 13.

Listen, that canoing/gravel bar camping business y'all do while ultimately prepped for winter village life is CHILD'S PLAY compared to zipping across an open lake in a bassboat and staying out there on the deck with a rod in hand all day !

I mean you guys paddle a couple miles then play poker and sip booze in a heated cabin tent.    GTFOH!  :P

Glenn, I have invited you to float with the WFT before but you declined. Don't dog us for our accumulation of toys & winter camping knowledge. Sleep outside in a tent for the next 3 days and tell us how it works for you. 

Oh I'm not doggin' it!    I can tell just by the pics I've seen that y'all have it down to a science.  

The closest I've ever come to what you guys do FOR FUN was during the ice storm of 2007 when we had no heat, electricity or running water for 9 days with night time lows in the single digits for 4 of those days.   I was never so excited to see these lights flicker back on and hear that heat pump start humming.   Man that was brutal :blink: