USE Sunscreen

I like those Australian hats...been using Barmah Canvas Drovers for several years now.  Nice wide brim and mesh sides so it's really cool in the summer.  The mesh might not be a great idea if you're bald, though; I suppose some sun comes through it.  I went to the website and they have an extra wide brim Drover...think it might be my next hat.

I've got sun damage to my skin, but so far nothing serious.  My dermatologist told me I was one of the lucky ones that wasn't very likely to get serious skin cancers, but that didn't mean I could be stupid for the rest of my life.  I spent enough time in the sun with nothing on by a ball cap and a pair of shorts most of the summer when I was a lot younger, to have done a lot of damage.  I can't stand using sunscreen, hence the wide brimmed hats, long sleeve shirts, and long pants when fishing these days.

9 hours ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I've been made fun of for years now for looking like a ninja.  I prefer sun block clothes to sunscreen.

Do you use any sun Gloves? I started using a buff and long sleeved Huk uv protection shirt this year. I've thought about getting some sun gloves. I really hate wearing sunscreen, especially on my face. I still wear shorts and sunscreen though. 

Good grief.   Y'all need to just take up computer games or something.  Stay inside where you're safe.  Maybe you are aliens, accidentally born one planet too close to the sun.

I feel for ya.  It would suck to be born into an environment that your body can't tolerate.    

I love being in the sun. I get the most fantastic tan every summer and rarely if ever get a sunburn. Usually only in the most intense sun, and usually only when I get dehydrated. However, I have started to become more aware of my mortality and of the mortality of those around me. I've seen too many people, lately, around me having to have things frozen off, burned off, or cut off. I really don't want that to be me, but I also really don't want to wear sunscreen. I have found a compromise with my wife to wear uv protective clothing instead of sunscreen. 

Believe me, I was somebody that was dogging on the "weak" that couldn't handle the sun as recently as a year ago. I spent a year using the huk shirt and the buff and found that I kinda enjoyed wearing them. Maybe, my skin will thank me when I am older. To me, it is all about prevention and comfort. 

Well my hat is off to you invincible guys.  My father and B-I-L were both invincible until they started taking off pieces of their hide, specially ears and bridge of nose.  They are both now deceased, cancer for both.  They were both very enthusiastic fishermen. 

When I was young I also thought I was invincible and never wore sunscreen, which I still hate.  About a year ago my wife noticed something on my head.  She thought it was a tick at first, but discovered it was a mole that had never been there.  To try to shorten this story I now have a bald spot on the back of my head and a scar on my side where they took the skin for the graft.  I tried to talk them into taking it off my behind as it has more hair but they would not buy it.  

So for all you invincible types carry on.  Normal people should wear sunscreen or cover up.  

I'm sure my day is coming.   I have had 3-4 spots pop up on me and cause me to freak out because they wouldn't heal as soon as I thought they should have, but so far they've all eventually healed up and went away.   I'm sure that if I had gone to the doctor about them they would have scheduled all kinds of testing and removal procedures, and given me all kinds of bad news.   I just don't do doctors, period, unless I break a bone, suffer a severe laceration that needs stitches, or honestly feel like I am about to die. 

I'm sure if I ever went to one they'd have a field day with me. I'd be as good as institutionalized, clinically disabled, and would never see the light of day again.  No thanks, I'd rather take my chances out here where the cancer thrives than to spend the rest of my life constantly in and out of hospitals, either doing treatments or recovering from one.   

I know for a fact, almost, that my dad would have had 10+ years more quality time on this earth if he had never gone to/or listened to doctors.