OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Al Agnew

First of 2018

The forecast for the day for livingston Montana wasn't great.  It was going to be windy.  So what else is new.  Livingston is known for wind, though also for warmer winter weather than you'd think for Montana.  But there had been a lot of subzero temps, and now it had finally moderated, and this would be my only chance to go fishing while we were out here.  The river still had shelf ice, but the snow was melting and DePuys Spring Creek had rods open.  And maybe it wouldn't be so windy up in the valley.  So I drove the 15 minutes from the house to the spring creek, and there wasn't much wind.  Just a cloudy day.IMG_2065.JPG

That's streamer weather!  I tied on one of my rabbit hair streamers and walked up to a slack pool that I knew held fish that would eat a streamer.  It didn't take long:

IMG_2100.JPGThat was the first fish of 2018 for me.  I hooked several more, both rainbows and browns, and in the next three hours I caught 8 or 9.  None were huge but all were nice fish, 14-17 inchers.  Then the sun came out:IMG_2123.JPG

That was pretty much the end of the streamer fishing.  I walked back to the truck, which was parked next to one of the little huts with wood stoves that the owners thoughtfully provide for cold anglers.  I wasn't cold, but the wind had come up and was blowing about 25 mph, and it was nice to get out of it while I ate a late lunch.  Afterwards, I tried nymphing a couple runs, but got nothing.  Seemed the fishing was done for the day, so I gave it up and headed for home.  Not bad for Montana in January.

The spring creeks are cheap this time of year...$40.  $125 a day in the summer.  I don't fish them in the summer!  If you have a family that wants to get into winter sports, a winter vacation in Montana will get you plenty of skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, snowmobiling...and you can sneak off and fish the spring creeks.