Monday, Indian Creek Arm

Quillback

First day out in a while, weather has been too cold for my delicate constitution, but today met my requirements.  Also was inspired by Champ's report, love to fish for smallies on the dam end.

Fishing was pretty good for January, I caught about 20 bass total, 12 or 13 of them being smallies.  Nothing real big, but my first fish of the New Year went about 17 inches.  Caught maybe 4 or so keeper sized smallies and a couple of chunky spots.  Dragging 1/8 oz Ned on shelf rock banks and in front of docks that hung over 20 foot or less of water were the best locations, caught a couple around timber.  Fish were grouped up, when I got a bite there were usually a couple of more bites nearby.  10 - 20 FOW was best depth.  

Finished up in a cove near the Indian creek launch, about 4 PM the stripers were feeding in that cove on shad, lots of top water activity.  I walked the dog, had three swipes at it, none of them touched the lure.  They looked to be chasing small shad in the one inch range, that Yellow Magic Havana I was throwing was just too big I believe.  

Water temp was around 47, surprised me it was that warm.

Here's some smallie pics and a fat spot.  All the fish are healthy, they are eating well.

large.Jan8smallie4.jpglarge.Jan8smallie2.jpglarge.Jan8smalie3.jpglarge.Jan8smallie1.jpglarge.Jan8spot.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

This post has been promoted to an article

6 hours ago, Bass_assassin said:

Nice fish thinking about going out Wednesday out of prairie creek for a tournament Saturday any suggestions?

I haven't been down on that end of the lake in a while.  Saw some reports that guys were getting some on jerk baits and cranks.  

9 hours ago, Bass_assassin said:

Nice fish thinking about going out Wednesday out of prairie creek for a tournament Saturday any suggestions?

Jerkbaits,jig,crankbait,swimbait or Grub in a pro blue or smoke color with 1/4 jig, Arig,spoon,drop shot and shakey head or Ned. Fish what’s in front of you with the proper bait and don’t be scared to try shallow around brush. 

• Members
13 hours ago, Sore Thumbs said:

Jerkbaits,jig,crankbait,swimbait or Grub in a pro blue or smoke color with 1/4 jig, Arig,spoon,drop shot and shakey head or Ned. Fish what’s in front of you with the proper bait and don’t be scared to try shallow around brush. 

Ok thank you:D

Big cold front coming in, I would suggest dropping something small right in front of their face. The shallow water will start to cool and freeze first so I think trees in deeper water and fish holding tight to cover. But if the sun comes out and shad are dying they could make a run up shallow.

Good luck and dress in many layers. One thing I can tell you, anything you learn in 57 degree weather does not work when it hits 14, also IMO spinning tackle is easier to bust Ice on then baitcasters just because the guides are bigger,