Current below Montauk 1/12

Justin92297

On 1/15/2018 at 10:53 PM, Gavin said:

Think all Missouri brown trout come from Shepherd of the Hills on Taney. Sheep creek strain from the  Green R. drainage in Utah. From an old article, don't know what they are messing with now.

You may be right about the Browns. I was told that the fish released into the Meramec is a strain from Virginia that may be able to survive better. They certainly don't look like the Browns in the Current. 

Bill

On 1/15/2018 at 10:05 PM, bkbying89 said:

Where do the Brown trout in our streams come from? I believe it was that the Browns in Taneycomo come from the federal hatchery. Are they the same as the browns in the Current? I know the Browns we chase in the Meramec River are a strain from Virginia, they come from the hatchery at the Springs. They are there to help manage the Copepods that attack the rainbows.  They look more silvery with fewer spots than the ones we catch in the Current.

Bill

I got my hatchery and fish mixed up. rainbows come from Neosho, not browns.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

From the hatchery manager at Meramec springs. we do have did have two strains of browns I am not sure we still do but some or all came from Utah. Browns may lay eggs but the water isn't cold enough for the eggs to hatch. At least that is my understanding from the presentation.

Bill