Grandmas .410 gauge

BilletHead

Many moons ago I was gifted my Step Grandmas four ten side by side shotgun. I have shot many bunnies with it in the past but took a long hiatus going out for rabbits. Have always been able to keep busy chasing waterfowl in the winter until this one. Big lock up with ice and no birds in my hunting area. Needing to go outdoors badly, cold or not I need to be out there. I had seen a place from a distance that just looked like rabatat (rabbit habitat). North of BilletHeadVille about 25 miles on a farmer friend I have go do anything I want on his place. The field is disked corn stubble but in this fields are three old waterways that are very gnarly. Multiflora rose, tall weeds, broom sedge and blackberry briars. Thick enough it was impassable in places.  Frozen ground I drove to the high end of one. just as I hoped rabbit tracks. So I worked it from one end to the other and shot three! Happy with this I tried another smaller draw. Seen one but no shot. Drove over the last and nothing at the start but at the bottom pay dirt. Three more. I was six for six until the last one which I had to chase and shoot two more times to finally finish him off in the thick junk. At eight degrees I had ice on the stash but was hot from beating brush. Thanked Grandma and headed home to clean the game,

thumbnail_0117181144[1].jpg

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

I've got a Steven's that looks a lot like that. My dad got for my 10th birthday. 

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

20 minutes ago, Chief Grey Bear said:

I've got a Steven's that looks a lot like that. My dad got for my 10th birthday. 

12 minutes ago, MOPanfisher said:

Makes me miss my beagles.  It.does look like an old Stevens, I have a 20 gauge that looks a lot like it.

That's what it is guys, 530A

Billethead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

I love a good .410, its a shame that shells are so expensive for them.  That was my first shotgun, field grade model 42 Winchester in full choke.  I nailed everything from squirrels to turkey with it.  It was my great uncles that was supposed to go to me when he passed.  His family had an auction of all his guns and I never got a chance at it.  I ran across it at a gun show a few years back with a $1700 price tag on it.  The blood stain on the barrel where the blueing came off and scars on the receiver where I dropped it was what gave it away.  I have seen it several times since then on the same table at other shows, but can't seem to part with the money for it.

I have a single barrel that I use, bought it for the daughter.  I will inherit the Winchester single shot that Grandpa used to carry when Dad goes on.  I will even have a nice little .410 Judge that Dad had to have for his little rattlesnake problem then too.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

4 hours ago, BilletHead said:

Many moons ago I was gifted my Step Grandmas four ten side by side shotgun. I have shot many bunnies with it in the past but took a long hiatus going out for rabbits. Have always been able to keep busy chasing waterfowl in the winter until this one. Big lock up with ice and no birds in my hunting area. Needing to go outdoors badly, cold or not I need to be out there. I had seen a place from a distance that just looked like rabatat (rabbit habitat). North of BilletHeadVille about 25 miles on a farmer friend I have go do anything I want on his place. The field is disked corn stubble but in this fields are three old waterways that are very gnarly. Multiflora rose, tall weeds, broom sedge and blackberry briars. Thick enough it was impassable in places.  Frozen ground I drove to the high end of one. just as I hoped rabbit tracks. So I worked it from one end to the other and shot three! Happy with this I tried another smaller draw. Seen one but no shot. Drove over the last and nothing at the start but at the bottom pay dirt. Three more. I was six for six until the last one which I had to chase and shoot two more times to finally finish him off in the thick junk. At eight degrees I had ice on the stash but was hot from beating brush. Thanked Grandma and headed home to clean the game,

thumbnail_0117181144[1].jpg

BilletHead

all day today I wished my health would have let me rabbit hunt like I have done in the past, spent many a cold snowy winter day stomping brush with a shotgun I wish I still owned, that and some fresh fried rabbit and biscuits n gravy, something any self respecting outdoorsmen should experience 

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

Very nice bunch of bunnies BH! My dad had an old sixteen ga side by side. Shot it a few times but never hunted with it. Don't remember much about it. My mom sold it after they divorced when I was 17. I did shoot his old Colt 22 mag squirrel pistol. She sold that as well. I did get his Mossberg Chuckster 22 mag. Haven't hunted with it this year. Been shooting game with my scattergun this year.