2018 Garden Thread

ness

Store bought raspberry canes? Native transplants? Milkweed for butterflies native? You have an important decision to make :) ,

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

She could not stand it anymore,

First big tomatoes were picked this morning and some little cukes actually made into the house :),

thumbnail_0701180700.jpg

BilletHead

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

2 hours ago, BilletHead said:

Store bought raspberry canes? Native transplants? Milkweed for butterflies native? You have an important decision to make :) ,

BilletHead

I have pasture with lots of milkweeds, I need some more Thornless blackberries and some raspberries now to add to my fruit and berry patch.  Do have a few decent looking blackberries on the few vines I have, if they get a rain or two they will be delicious.

I know it is sure dry here in BilletHeadVille,

Watering some plants by IV fluids,thumbnail_0706181506_HDR.jpg   Works super good and no run off as slow as it goes. I know one thing if Lancer is having to carry water to his truck garden I bet he is skinny and down to fighting weight : ) 

Trying something else. Since the cucumbers are coming in pretty regularly we can only eat so many fresh and giving a few out too. Fired up the dehydrator and sliced some up and pitched them in there plain. They are actually pretty good little chips. Shrink to about nothing but I think worth the trouble. Then I looked up how to on the subject. A lot of info out there and seasonings for them too. Can dry and grind to a powder for adding to soups etc. This morning I sliced some on an angle so they would be bigger and slipped them into some cider vinegar. When done put into a colander to drain. Onto dehydrating trays then a light salt. Into the dehydrator. Every once an awhile I go by and pluck one out.  All I can say is I hope there is one or two left when Mrs. BilletHead gets home :) ,

thumbnail_ATT00001.jpg     Tomatoes are coming in a bit better now. So lush besides tomatoes hiding while peering looking at them I found a worm that had bored in and out of one. Not your standard tomato worm. Not sure what he was but dead now. BLT's for dinner tonight! (without worm),

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, BilletHead said:

BilletHead

You know me Marty I am a living contradiction. I don't want to be pigeon-holed into a standard label :o! Is he a microfisherman or a multispecies angler? Does he Go Native! or plant whatever he wants.

So I have store bought raspberry canes growing next to the milkweeds at least that was until this year when the milkweed extended its domain! We have native bluebells and blue phlox next to daffodils because I like the contrast of colors.

Best that I can recall tomatoes or cucumbers are not native to this area either :P!

10 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

You know me Marty I am a living contradiction. I don't want to be pigeon-holed into a standard label :o! Is he a microfisherman or a multispecies angler? Does he Go Native! or plant whatever he wants.

So I have store bought raspberry canes growing next to the milkweeds at least that was until this year when the milkweed extended its domain! We have native bluebells and blue phlox next to daffodils because I like the contrast of colors.

Best that I can recall tomatoes or cucumbers are not native to this area either :P!

I know but they are not invasive :) .   One thing is for certain if you are careful in life you can straddle the barbed wire fence but one mistake and you could be hurting. Man I think I have another signature line ! Thanks John,

BilletHead

P.S. may your fences be short or hope you have long legs 🤣

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

43 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

P.S. may your fences be short or hope you have long legs 🤣

Now you're just being mean. You know that I have short legs and they aren't making any fences the height to just to keep in rabbits. I despise barbwire fences:angry:!

19 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

Now you're just being mean. You know that I have short legs and they aren't making any fences the height to just to keep in rabbits. I despise barbwire fences:angry:!

No I wasn't :) .  It is wishing you the best hoping for short fences! You know what I hate? The tall fences where the bottom strand is so close to the ground my belly or back snags depending on how I slither underneath  it.  My favorite is the loose ones I can go through at the perfect height or the high bottom strand where I can roll under. 

Actually I like free range fences meaning none at all and that brings us back full circle to native plants, animals and FISH :) ,

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

• 2 weeks later...

Dang,

thumbnail_ATT00001.jpg   And there is two more counters full of tomatoes in the kitchen. Will be making a big batch of salsa this weekend. Some of it will be frozen. More being dehydrated at this moment. When they are done I will have dried 25 trays. Yanked out the cherry tomatoes. Leaves turning yellowish and tired of fighting them in the tomato jungle. Still getting cucumbers but they are slowing down. Next week before out vacation will yank them too. Peppers so, so depending on the variety. Jalapenos (two types) and bells great. Banana and cubanells not so good. Getting some end rot and going soft. Not sure what is going on but this is the first time that has ever happened in all the years we have grown them. 

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead