Fear Not

Cindyjo

I believe it is Castaic where they stopped stocking trout, that's the lake that produced some huge bass.  Something to do with rainbow trout escaping the lake and the danger that those escapees could somehow spawn with native steelhead below the dam, except that there haven't been any steelhead seen there in years.  I read somewhere that they are considering triploids as they can't spawn.  

I fished Castaic for 20 years.  I lived nearby.  The issue at Cas. are the strippers which have changed the entire lake demographics.  The strippers came in through a broken gate and were never intended to be in the lake.  I remember several years ago someone catching a LMB 2 or 3 ounces short of the world record.  He released the fish back in Cas.  There are numerous articles of the details of that fish.  The lake is deep, but not all that big.  I personally never caught any LMB over 7 lbs. from Castaic.  They say there are crappie in there but in all those years I never caught a Crappie.  I did catch many from Piru Lake which was equal driving distance.  Castaic gets very very heavy traffic from L.A.  No doubt it holds the worlds record.

Oh yes.  If you fish Castaic fish the Lagoon below the dam.  It holds the bigger fish since many of the lunkers are weighed and returned to the lagoon because it is more convenient.   It is not very big, but holds some monster bass.

I did a little poking around on the web, looks like they are going to stock rainbows again in the lower lagoon.  They made some modifications that will prevent rainbows escaping into the river.  There does appear to be something of a steelhead run on the river (Santa Clara) and much effort to restore the run.  I hope they are able to do so.

Check out Butch Brown at Castaic lagoon. Had the privilege of meeting him there 2 years ago, and he was a super cool guy. Master of the Hudelston!! As for SoCal I've always been partial to Lake Perris. Big Spots!!

Strippers could be a problem for any lake!! We need to bring them into TR!! Maybe they will run off all the families!! All the wake boarders and pontoons and skiers!! We will have the lake to ourselves again!! Sorry Cindyjo i couldnt resist. I am bored up here in the cold!!! Going stir crazy!! I apologize.

1 hour ago, Smithvillesteve said:

Strippers could be a problem for any lake!! We need to bring them into TR!! Maybe they will run off all the families!! All the wake boarders and pontoons and skiers!! We will have the lake to ourselves again!! Sorry Cindyjo i couldnt resist. I am bored up here in the cold!!! Going stir crazy!! I apologize.

16387923_1328193077203975_151046583355037443_n.jpg

I know everything about nothing and know nothing about everything!

Bruce Philips