Fear Not

Cindyjo

I just finished reviewing the fish electro. data and all the comments.  Our home is on TR.  I fish TR constantly.  My fishing results are not as limited as the report.  There are many LMB in the 8 - 10+ pound range.  I see them often.  I catch them (5-8lbs.) on occasion.  I am aware of three 8+lb LMB caught within 300 yds of our home within the last 2 years.  One I caught.  There are BIG LMB out there!  Sometimes early in the morning I walk the shoreline.  It is quite fascinating to see the number of trophy bass that break the water.  No, not carp, or paddlefish, but really big LMB. 

The electro. shocking which is done is for a limited time, limited area, with very limited results.   If you have been trained in statistics you understand the very narrow window these results represent. There is good info to be learned from these reports.  If your after trophy fish don't fish where these surveys were taken.  One hint based upon sightings and experience......the big ones are generally over deeper water.  So fear not!

So uh hey Cindyjo, when we going fishing? Or just tell me where your home is since it seems to be the 8# mecca...

Seriously though, I know there are still a lot of big fish out there, it just seems the average size is down.  I'm no expert, but I agree with you 100% about larger fish and deep water

the lake as a whole is on the short side of 5lb. + bass.  if they were here is the numbers that they were before the fish kill, they would show up in the tournaments, and also at night in the spring before spawn.  i would agree that there a few bigger bass in the lake, but still pretty scarce.

bo

Couldn't agree more on the electro-fishing survey ... a very limited window and nothing more than a mildly effective tool in the difficult quest to sample the LMB/SM/KY population of a sprawling Ozark highlands reservoir.

Beyond that, where's the evidence of these 8-10 pounders? Last April 1-2, somewhere around 1,000 anglers put in 15 hours each during the Big Bass Tour event. Took 5.89 to win. That's right ... not even one 6-pounder was caught at that prime time of year. Three weeks earlier, in March when big bass are on the move, 200 of the nation's best BASS pros and co-anglers were here and just one 6-pounder was caught amongst them in three days of fishing.

As far as I know, there wasn't an 8-pounder caught all of last year in any tournament and maybe not even a 7-pounder. Nor do I recall hearing of any caught by recreational anglers. Probably were some 7's caught, but none come to mind. 

I'd sure as heck love to see one and I'm sure others would, too. Just a picture would do. 

ClassActionTransparent.png

2 hours ago, Champ188 said:

As far as I know, there wasn't an 8-pounder caught all of last year in any tournament and maybe not even a 7-pounder. Nor do I recall hearing of any caught by recreational anglers. Probably were some 7's caught, but none come to mind. 

I recall Bill Babler and Phil catching an 8 lb with pics within the last two years.   

2 hours ago, Champ188 said:

Couldn't agree more on the electro-fishing survey ... a very limited window and nothing more than a mildly effective tool in the difficult quest to sample the LMB/SM/KY population of a sprawling Ozark highlands reservoir.

Beyond that, where's the evidence of these 8-10 pounders? Last April 1-2, somewhere around 1,000 anglers put in 15 hours each during the Big Bass Tour event. Took 5.89 to win. That's right ... not even one 6-pounder was caught at that prime time of year. Three weeks earlier, in March when big bass are on the move, 200 of the nation's best BASS pros and co-anglers were here and just one 6-pounder was caught amongst them in three days of fishing.

I'd sure as heck love to see one and I'm sure others would, too. Just a picture would do. 

Not 8's but 2 good ones that may have sniffed 7.  My 2 PB's caught back to back one night in July 2014.  No scale but the bigger one measured just over 22-1/2".

IMG_8085.jpg

IMG_8086.jpg

3 hours ago, Champ188 said:

I caught an 8# 2 years ago come April.I  beleive I posted a pic of it but my arms are were to short to fit her all in the picture. It was Eagle Rock area.IMG_20150328_173330696_HDR.jpg

Becky B

Great fish by all 3 of you guys and thanks for the pics. Really nice to see them. But once again, with the exception of edyer’s beauty, none were caught in 2017. And if memory serves, 2016 was slim pickins too, which makes shark bait’s 8-pounder even more special.

Lets hope 2018 is a better year for the big uns, but if not, perhaps it’s time for anglers and fisheries folks alike to sit down and talk about the situation. 

ClassActionTransparent.png