Swimbait fishing on the ROCK?

BeginnersLuck

• Members

I've never fished swimbaits (I know...stupid) and I know they are killer baits. I do not have the knowledge on them to fish them confidently, and end up going to something I am more familiar with. This year I am making it my goal to figure them out. I have a couple questions in regards to them:

1. What is your ideal set up? (brand, color, head size, and so on) 

2. When and where is the best time to fish them and what water temp? Are guys fishing them now? 

Thanks guys! I know there are always changing variables to bait selection, so any specific or general info is much appreciated. 

Yes people are fishing them now. Keitech is without a doubt the most popular. Head sizes can range from an 1/8 to 1/2 oz depending on your depth an application 

Colors and location are something you will have to work out on your own mostly. Popular colors are Rainbow Shad-Blue Pearl-Tennessee Shad- Black Shad

Good Luck

1 hour ago, Bill Babler said:

Yes people are fishing them now. Keitech is without a doubt the most popular. Head sizes can range from an 1/8 to 1/2 oz depending on your depth an application 

Colors and location are something you will have to work out on your own mostly. Popular colors are Rainbow Shad-Blue Pearl-Tennessee Shad- Black Shad

Good Luck

This ^^^ !! You can pretty much throw it anywhere you'd throw a jerk bait or spinner bait, especially if you rig it on a weedless head like the War Eagle Grubber. Be sure you get the bait perfectly straight on the head ... it swims a lot better that way.

ClassActionTransparent.png

I have no problem sharing my feeble thoughts on any technique. I prefer weighting my swimbaits because we are talking Table Rock here, i.e., super-clear water where the fish are often reluctant to come near/to the surface to eat a bait. But there are those times, often in spring, where a hook will work just as well. I don't like the belly-weighted hooks because I just haven't found any that look very natural when rigged.

Again, I'm open to sharing any/all techniques and I hope everyone else is, too. It's when we get into derby season and you start getting thousands of views on every post that I'm reluctant to say anything about where I've been fishing or patterns that are working for me. Say too much about an area and you'll have lots of company next time out.

ClassActionTransparent.png

15 minutes ago, Champ188 said:

I don't like the belly-weighted hooks because I just haven't found any that look very natural when rigged.

That's always been my take on them as well. But I haven't fished swimbaits much and just like the original poster I hope to get more involved.

I was just giving you a hard time on the PM thing. I totally understand. I've had a fishing report that I gave to a friend go out in the newspaper before and I wasn't happy about that. This is no different really, just a lot more people with access. I don't fish like you guys or where you guys fish anymore but I do enjoy reading what you guys do share and applying that to some river bass. 

• Members
2 hours ago, Champ188 said:

I have no problem sharing my feeble thoughts on any technique. I prefer weighting my swimbaits because we are talking Table Rock here, i.e., super-clear water where the fish are often reluctant to come near/to the surface to eat a bait. But there are those times, often in spring, where a hook will work just as well. I don't like the belly-weighted hooks because I just haven't found any that look very natural when rigged.

Again, I'm open to sharing any/all techniques and I hope everyone else is, too. It's when we get into derby season and you start getting thousands of views on every post that I'm reluctant to say anything about where I've been fishing or patterns that are working for me. Say too much about an area and you'll have lots of company next time out.

I fish mainly the Cape Fair/Aunts Creek area where the water is more stained this time of year. Do you still throw a more natural shad color (whites) or do you mix in more colored baits. I typically will slow roll a big chartreuse colorado blade and love the typical rock crawler/wiggle wart, but I feel these baits get fished hard and I'd love to mix up my presentation to try and trigger more big bites. 

I agree with Champ on the depth thing and the hook not being natural. But there are times when the jighead is to much weight due to shallow water and a super slow retrieve that the hook option is better. Was fishing a swimbait with a guy in the back of my boat I had a light jig head and was getting my ars handed to me. I just turned around and looked at his set up, belly weight wide gap hook and a slower retrieve was what the fish wanted. I did not have a weighted hook but had wide gap. I would get hung up if tried to get that jigheaded rig that slow and the fish would not hit mine if it was fast enought. I really think the Kietech has the best action and the most natural presentation.