March 2nd, Shad rapping it around Big M

Quillback

Water is still dirty brown around Big M, not as many leaves in the water and not a lot of big stuff in the main channel, but keep an eye out when you are motoring as there are a few big pieces of wood out in the channel.

I started off the morning throwing a Menace Grub on a 3/8 oz swing jig, caught my first fish on it, lost another one, then snagged up and broke it off.  Both bites were right up on the bank, so I decided to switch to a #5 Shad Rap.  I had noticed something Bo said in his report about the fish hitting his crank bait near the boat, so I thought it would be worth it to throw the minnow rather than bounce a crank off the bottom.  Decent bite on the Shad Rap, very shallow fish, mostly dinks, but a lot of fun on the light spinning gear.  Fish were in the muddy water, right on the bank.  Caught a couple dozen with 4 keepers.  Threw the Ned for a bit and caught one spotted bass on it.

Had one hard puller that got off, I thought I had snagged a big limb, drug it towards the boat for maybe 2 seconds, just dead weight like a big limb, and then it started head shaking and pulling drag.  Had it on for another 5 seconds or so and then it just pulled off.  Didn't see what it was, I hate big mystery fish that get off.

About 10 of my fish were smallmouth, all up very shallow.

Fishing got slow around noon, I was out of there at 2 PM.

A lot of boats out there today, I saw several bass caught by other fishermen.

WT 48-50.

A couple of pics, they didn't come out too well in the bright sun.

large.Srap3.jpglarge.Srap2.jpglarge.Srap1.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

Nice!

I have a good supply of shad raps Quill. I don't pick up the spinning gear much anymore but when i do the first thing I tie on is a shad rap. This time of the year I have done real well on walleye on the river run,

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Quill,  thanks for the report. Patlock and I are going tomorrow(Saturday ) and will put in at big M too. We thought we might as well get a look at the water up there before the tourney.  We should be there around 8am. 

Mike

10 hours ago, m&m said:

Quill,  thanks for the report. Patlock and I are going tomorrow(Saturday ) and will put in at big M too. We thought we might as well get a look at the water up there before the tourney.  We should be there around 8am. 

Mike

Good luck, looks like it will be a really nice day weather wise.

Thanks for the report Quill!!

I was wanting to go out today but been working on daughters car instead.

I know everything about nothing and know nothing about everything!

Bruce Philips

Patlock and I put in at Big M a little after 8am Saturday. Water was stained to muddy. Visibility was <2feet. WT was 49 early and warmed to 51 when we took out at 1:30pm. Wound up with 25 fish but only 2 keepers. All were spotted bass and lacking a lot of color. Kind of like they just came up from deep winter habitat. 2 were caught on a double willow spinnerbait. And the rest were caught on crankbaits. Only 2 fish after 10:30am. All fish were in <10 fow. We tried deeper but no go. Tried jigs, c-rig and shakey head but no takers. Lots of boats running. We did see a guy catch a nice keeper in the back of a cove in shallow water on a white spinnerbait. If the water warms a couple of degrees this week, the bite should be pretty good soon. I will try to get back up there Thursday and Friday. I want to see if there is an early morning bite. 

Mike