Evinrude Motors

J.M.

J.M., I am still running a 1989 Johnson 150 GT. It runs great. 

Mike

• Members

I have run OMC products for over 45 years and been very happy. Recently, two E-Tech's 150 hp, latest a 2015. Did have a fuel injector problem with the 2008, but turns out they had a bad batch. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to get one, quiet, efficient, good hole shot and dependable.

Bruce Etter

I tend to agree with Wrench (scarily, most always and on most anything) and only wish that I had started thinking for myself regarding Evinrude many years ago.  I had become so indoctrinated with the Mercury cool aid that I couldn't see the forrest for the trees.  For over thirty years whenever I was shopping for a new boat I would ask the dealer about Evinrude and would immediately be met with a reaction as though I'd insulted their great grandmother's very heritage.  Evinrude was junk, unserviceable and don't bring that crap anywhere near my precious Mercury's!

In fact, a Ranger dealership in Sedalia once told me that they didn't allow Evinrude's on their lot and that they would appreciate it if I didn't bring my existing Ranger with its nasty old Yamaha back again.  I thought they were joking but they were not.  The guy said that they would be happy to sell me a new Ranger with a Merc but would not so much as make me an offer on a trade for my Ranger with a Yamaha because they would never be able to sell it (at any price) and that no one within 500 miles would service it. 

And to think that Evinrude was even worse!

I was shocked but I guess I at least somewhat believed it and bought only Merc's after that - although certainly not from them.

Two years ago, I bought my current Z521 and insisted on a G2.  Again, I was told that I was crazy, that resale would be zip and I'd be lucky to find service anywhere within a days drive.  Nonetheless, after 63 years on this earth I had finally learned to spend my money on what I want and bought the boat with a G2 from Cablea's in Kansas City.

Alas, in January I was informed that upon purchasing Cabela's, Mr. Morris had torn up the contract with Evinrude and that they would no longer be able to provide service for my Evinrude and that I would now have to take it to Smithville - nearly an hour away when Cabela's is ten minutes from my house.

Russian conspiracy theory?

I don't know how Evinrude has even managed to stay in business when considering this Mercury dominance/monopoly attitude that's so prevalent among boat dealers but I'm beyond satisfied with my G2 and it is BY FAR the best outboard I've ever owned.

Obviously, I can't speak from experience regrading the older Evinrudes but I can speak from experience when recommending that after doing your due diligence that you think for yourself and don't listen to all the anti Evinrude propaganda!

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.

• Members

They are great motors! Can be little harder to find parts on them. This one is a 1992 stratos with a 150 (1992) Evinrude. Only have had to do basic matience on it replacing carbs, and basic tune ups. I’d probably go mercury with the next one because of the parts being more readily available but Evinrude is a good motor too 

EB57F95C-36FD-420E-98AF-32FC9759CC3B.jpeg

9AA810D4-018C-4829-90BE-4462D2EDA09B.jpeg

68CFF78C-F624-45FC-9400-7E613D125914.jpeg

A0982F8A-D017-4F4C-A10D-2CAA03C17363.jpeg

6894E37D-53F4-44C3-B9B6-F8C75A66B5E4.jpeg

C9EF9537-56D4-4477-A466-BE5B098DF794.jpeg

CC696C4D-CE05-4FF5-9149-FB30D151B08D.jpeg

96DFD6A3-D1A1-42F3-B31B-FEDE8E92EAE8.jpeg

24 minutes ago, CrappieMaster24 said:

They are great motors! Can be little harder to find parts on them. This one is a 1992 stratos with a 150 (1992) Evinrude. Only have had to do basic matience on it replacing carbs, and basic tune ups. I’d probably go mercury with the next one because of the parts being more readily available but Evinrude is a good motor too 

I'm sorry but you are nuttier than a squirrel turd!     There isn't an outboard out there with more readily available and reasonably priced parts than Evinrude!   Even back to the 1960's

For Christ sake man, Mercury parts start becoming NLA (no longer available) as early as 7 years after their manufacture date.  What other company in the world, besides a government based company, can justify an 86.00 O-RING ?

Surely you are just trying to get me all fired up.  B)

CrappieMaster, if you are based here at Table Rock Lake,  Ulrich is an authorized evenrude repair shop. I get my basic maintenance done there each year. They did have an issue with a trim sensor part but I reached out to Fishinwrench and he was able to get it for me. Ulrich installed it.  It is all about care and maintenance. I have a 1999 GMC 2500 Suburban with only 161,000 miles on it and it runs great. Care and maintenance helps. Then it is a matter of preference. 

Mike