Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnsfolly

More Maryland catches

Recommended Posts

I have suggested, prodded, (other OAF members have prodded as well0, but Livie would not write this post herself. Because I anted to showcase another life list species for her, here is the last post from when she and my betterhalf were in Maryland visiting me back in March/early April. We did get a break with a little better weather and the right tide, that allowed us to try for some schoolie stripers. With the long cold weather this was a crap shoot at best. I have had success fishing blade baits, like Johnson Thinfishers, etc., in this location in the past. I put on small black/chrome Thinfisher on Livie's rod and a silver XPS Lazer blade on my line. The wind made it difficult for Livie to get her bait out far enough to reach the edge of the channel where the fish were likely to be located. I made a few casts and no bites. I made a cast across the channel near the bridge and got a solid bite. I was able to land a 13 to 14" striper, my first of the year.

Dad Striper (1) - Oak Creek 29Mar18.jpg

I handed the rod to Livie. She was having trouble getting near the spot where I got bit. So I made the cast, she reeled and jigged the bait and got bit. She was shocked at the fight at first and then made up ground on the fish. She landed a nice 15" striper, which was a new life list fish for her :D! I could not have been happier. Not only did she catch the bass, but got a small bonus anemone :rolleyes:.

Livie Striper (1) - Oak Creek 29Mar18.jpg

Anenome - Oak Creek 29Mar18.jpg

We fished for another 15 to 20 minutes until it started getting dark. Did not get another bite.

 

Was thinking about MOCarp on our next trip that was planned for Easter Sunday. I crumbled cheerios and raisin bran then mixed that with water and some cut worms. I put that in a bag and we drove down to a spot that I had seen carp and maybe some suckers last year. We pulled up to the access and I tossed out the chum mixture. We went and saw a movie to let the fish get into that area before we fished it. After the movie I set up the rods with a slip sinker fish finder rig. We loaded the hooks with worms. I got the first bite, but missed the hook set. Livie got a strong bite and hooked into the first fish of the day. Unlike last year when dad did not land her fish, I got the fish netted and Livie got a picture of her and a carp.

Livie Carp (1) - Little Blackwater River - 01Apr18.JPGLivie Carp - Little Blackwater River - 01Apr18.JPG

As you could tell we were well hidden :rolleyes:! I missed a couple more fish. Livie blamed those lost strike on the OAFers that were texting me at the time (you both know who you are). She alos hooked into a larger carp that pulled the hook near the bank. She did catch a couple of white perch and I ended up with a goose egg on the day.

Livie White perch - Little Blackwater River - 01Apr18.JPG

As I state many times on this forum, I never have a problem with my daughters, son, or my betterhalf catching more or bigger fish (except when we are fighting for the catfish trophy), because if they have a good time I get to fish more ^_^! Can't wait to get her back out to get back on the stripers when they are really thick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

I have suggested, prodded, (other OAF members have prodded as well0, but Livie would not write this post herself. Because I anted to showcase another life list species for her, here is the last post from when she and my betterhalf were in Maryland visiting me back in March/early April. We did get a break with a little better weather and the right tide, that allowed us to try for some schoolie stripers. With the long cold weather this was a crap shoot at best. I have had success fishing blade baits, like Johnson Thinfishers, etc., in this location in the past. I put on small black/chrome Thinfisher on Livie's rod and a silver XPS Lazer blade on my line. The wind made it difficult for Livie to get her bait out far enough to reach the edge of the channel where the fish were likely to be located. I made a few casts and no bites. I made a cast across the channel near the bridge and got a solid bite. I was able to land a 13 to 14" striper, my first of the year.

Dad Striper (1) - Oak Creek 29Mar18.jpg

I handed the rod to Livie. She was having trouble getting near the spot where I got bit. So I made the cast, she reeled and jigged the bait and got bit. She was shocked at the fight at first and then made up ground on the fish. She landed a nice 15" striper, which was a new life list fish for her :D! I could not have been happier. Not only did she catch the bass, but got a small bonus anemone :rolleyes:.

Livie Striper (1) - Oak Creek 29Mar18.jpg

Anenome - Oak Creek 29Mar18.jpg

We fished for another 15 to 20 minutes until it started getting dark. Did not get another bite.

 

Was thinking about MOCarp on our next trip that was planned for Easter Sunday. I crumbled cheerios and raisin bran then mixed that with water and some cut worms. I put that in a bag and we drove down to a spot that I had seen carp and maybe some suckers last year. We pulled up to the access and I tossed out the chum mixture. We went and saw a movie to let the fish get into that area before we fished it. After the movie I set up the rods with a slip sinker fish finder rig. We loaded the hooks with worms. I got the first bite, but missed the hook set. Livie got a strong bite and hooked into the first fish of the day. Unlike last year when dad did not land her fish, I got the fish netted and Livie got a picture of her and a carp.

Livie Carp (1) - Little Blackwater River - 01Apr18.JPGLivie Carp - Little Blackwater River - 01Apr18.JPG

As you could tell we were well hidden :rolleyes:! I missed a couple more fish. Livie blamed those lost strike on the OAFers that were texting me at the time (you both know who you are). She alos hooked into a larger carp that pulled the hook near the bank. She did catch a couple of white perch and I ended up with a goose egg on the day.

Livie White perch - Little Blackwater River - 01Apr18.JPG

As I state many times on this forum, I never have a problem with my daughters, son, or my betterhalf catching more or bigger fish (except when we are fighting for the catfish trophy), because if they have a good time I get to fish more ^_^! Can't wait to get her back out to get back on the stripers when they are really thick.

      Neat report and A like for Livie. Gosh hope no Bow fishers drove by. You should of had that special roadside camo on. That special pattern that makes you look like a no fishing sign,

BilletHead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

      Neat report and A like for Livie. Gosh hope no Bow fishers drove by. You should of had that special roadside camo on. That special pattern that makes you look like a no fishing sign,

BilletHead

I will be back there n the next couple of weeks to try for snakeheads. Caught my first one on the other side of the street last year. Though Livie did blame you for me missing at least one fish. Sure you could guess the OAFer that accounted for the other lost fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gavin said:

Looks like fun. Think the American & Hickory shad are running in that part of the country about now. Good tugs, fast action if you find them. Would check that out if available. 

Thanks Gavin. I have them on my radar. Planning on giving them a shot over the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Johnsfolly said:

I will be back there n the next couple of weeks to try for snakeheads. Caught my first one on the other side of the street last year. Though Livie did blame you for me missing at least one fish. Sure you could guess the OAFer that accounted for the other lost fish.

I am sure I can hook you up with some of our group in that area, they may be able to point you to some odd ball fish for your list, from what I understand you can catch tench and roach back east, and there are a couple spots that have a few reel smoking carp there, the DC basin has always been a "must fish" place...ether way looks like you are having run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:06 AM, MoCarp said:

I am sure I can hook you up with some of our group in that area, they may be able to point you to some odd ball fish for your list, from what I understand you can catch tench and roach back east, and there are a couple spots that have a few reel smoking carp there, the DC basin has always been a "must fish" place...ether way looks like you are having run

I have wanted to catch a tench since I first saw one caught back in the UK. I fI couldn't catch one in the UK, I wouldn't mind catching a exotic living in the States. Would love to find some folks in this area that may have some information on new species :D! PM me with their information. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnsfolly said:

I have wanted to catch a tench since I first saw one caught back in the UK. I fI couldn't catch one in the UK, I wouldn't mind catching a exotic living in the States. Would love to find some folks in this area that may have some information on new species :D! PM me with their information. Thanks

they catch some near Waddington NY but Ill ask they guys if they can give up some spots, CT river has some interesting fish as does the NJ pine barrens

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be much closer to the NJ pine barrens. Might be a possible day trip. I know that there are some boggy areas in the pine barrens. So am I am not surprised with some oddball species in that area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.