Got a crappie question.

6lbstest

• Members

Pun intended! My son and I went down below Orleans today and bank fished. Had some fun, didn't catch but one small male white, but did catch some crappie on some minnows and a couple small channels. My son and I both caught a couple 9'' and a couple 9 1/2", but I had him throw them back. He asked me what the size limit was, I said that I always just shot for 10" like I was on the lake. Is the split from lake to river at the steel bridge? Or is it somewhere else, just would like to be sure I'm telling my boy the right information. Thanks!

10" 15 a day....and unsure how far up its considered lake...but any thing under 10" should go back in...fishing would be better farther up lake where it warms up 1st the fish will go on the beds there before up by the dam

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

• Members

Female agent in person told us the steel bridge at Orleans was the legal dividing line. Best I can remember I double checked with an email to MDC and it was the same story. But there's nothing like checking for yourself. 

• Members

The bridge was what I had always thought, but like mocarp was saying I always just went with 10" it's not going to hurt to let those shorts get some more time. Thanks for the verification mcrump! 

What gets folks in trouble in boats or canoes etc. is fishing above the boundary and keeping undersized fish, which is perfectly legal there.  They then boat/float downstream across the boundary, suddenly unless those fish have grown they are now illegal to posess.  Don't know how big of an issue it is in those places but others it happens a lot, as the only useable boat ramp is located below the boundary.