Fishing RMNP and Estes park

JestersHK

Ok, stopped for lunch in Boulder so have a minute to do a frying pan recap.  

I left out around 445 this morning as I had about an hour and a half drive to get to the pan.  

I stopped at the 2nd or 3rd pull off and started nymphing.  I rolled a fish in a pool but had very little action.  I broke off on some timber so I decided to head further down.

I hit the 4 mile marker and finally was able to see some fish working as the sun had finally come up.  I rolled another good size fish but couldn't get hooked up on the double nymph I was throwing.  I broke off again on a log and had to rig up again... First cast hit same log and broke off a third time... :(

So I'd been fishing for about 2 hours or so with nothing to show and I was burning daylight.  I grabbed my ultralight with a sculpin jig pattern on it and first cast I caught my first Colorado brown.  He wasn't huge but he put up a great fight and was beautiful.

After I finally got that first one things started to come together.  I caught a nice rainbow, then another small brownie. 

i moved a bit farther down I think mile 6 or so and there was a deep run next to a flat.  I could see fish working from the road so I parked and headed down.  I took my jig rod first, I know I know, it's fly rod country, but they were hammering the jigs.  Caught another small brownie on 2nd cast, then I missed 3 or 4.  Finally saw a fish cruise across the flats and hit the jig like a missle.  He was a nice fish and gave me a great fight.  Was prolly around 16 or 17in and thick.

I caught one more after that, then I had to head back and get the fam as it was check out time.

Thanks SIO3 and motroutbum for the help;

Resized_20180602_101323_3430.jpg

Resized_20180602_094733_7336.jpg

Resized_20180602_091047_4050.jpg

Resized_20180602_091045_2300.jpg

Resized_20180602_094729_1144.jpg

Resized_20180602_091043_1238.jpg

Resized_20180602_090937_2029.jpg

Resized_20180602_085627_6220.jpg

Well I hit the big thompson down from estes lake this evening.  I started nymphing, but had trouble connecting.  I rolled a nice one but never got hooked up. 

I made the drive up to Lilly lake before dark.  The was a small hatch, but again was skunked...

I'm going back to the big thompson tail water in the morning. I've also plotted out some of the bigger calmer looking sections to explore. 

Hopefully I have better luck than this evening!  Still the scenery is awesome.  Lilly lake at sunset was beautiful.  Although i was greeted with this sign when i got there lol.

20180602_200524.jpg

Ahhh, memories! Possibly my  favorite fishing moment was on Lily Lake. Had my canoe with us that trip and we were on the lake when a massive spinner fall occurred. Those things were everywhere and the fish were rising to them in every direction. The trick was to figure out the trajectory of a fish and drop the fly in its path. On one occasion my fly hit the water simultaneously with a natural and the fish picked mine. Never experienced anything like it before or since. 

Enough about me😄 Good luck!

John

If you’re interested in Greenbacks, the easiest place is probably where Roaring River comes down into the alluvial fan and joins Fall River. 

John

12 minutes ago, ness said:

If you’re interested in Greenbacks, the easiest place is probably where Roaring River comes down into the alluvial fan and joins Fall River. 

It hasn't been the same since the flood in 2013. It moved the river channel over 100 yards to the west and moved a ton of gravel and boulders down from above the waterfall.  Before the flood you could catch a ton.  Now, not so much.  With runoff right now, it's not fishing very well.

There are two types of people. Those who dream dreams and wish, then there are the do'ers. I am a do'er!

1 hour ago, motroutbum said:

It hasn't been the same since the flood in 2013. It moved the river channel over 100 yards to the west and moved a ton of gravel and boulders down from above the waterfall.  Before the flood you could catch a ton.  Now, not so much.  With runoff right now, it's not fishing very well.

Where would you suggest someone go this time of year for grenbacks then?

John

19 minutes ago, ness said:

Where would you suggest someone go this time of year for grenbacks then?

Lily Lake, Lost Lake, Ouzel Lake, Lawn Lake, Dream Lake, possibly the Big Thompson upstream of the Fern Lake Trailhead.  The easiest place to try to catch one without hiking over a mile is Lily Lake.

There are two types of people. Those who dream dreams and wish, then there are the do'ers. I am a do'er!

21 hours ago, JestersHK said:

Went to the frying pan.   Mission accomplished.   On the road to estes park now but will upload some pics tonight

20180602_101245.jpg

Very nice Brown trout! Great job!

I started out this morning around 530.  I went to the Big Thompson about 5 miles or so past the estes lake dam.  

I found a couple of flatter sections of water and started fishing.   I'm not sure if I just stink at nymph fishing or the bite was slow, but I only landed 2.  One little brownie so was beautiful, and a decent but skinny rainbow. 

Trips over now... I'm writing this from somewhere inthe middle of Kansas,  but i will definitely be back to Colorado for sure when I have more time to explore. 

Resized_20180603_074153_9216.jpeg

Resized_20180603_065056_1512.jpeg

Resized_20180603_065204_1316.jpeg

Nice trip and report DJ,

Thanks for taking us along!

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead