Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
FishermanTodd

Anyone know anything about Native kayaks?

Recommended Posts

Good morning,

Thinking about upgrading my fishing kayak. Right now I’m looking at the Native Slayer 12ft fishing kayak. Anyone ever fished out of one? If so let me know what you think. I’m 6’0 215lbs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TroutRinger said:

Is this for fishing rivers, lakes, ponds, or a little bit of everything?

Also, what’s your max budget?

Little bit of everything not wanting to get over 800-900 range and I do not plan on buying brand new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FishermanTodd said:

Little bit of everything not wanting to get over 800-900 range and I do not plan on buying brand new.

Gotcha. Well, someone in FLW was selling a Slayer 12 for like $750 on Facebook marketplace. Not sure if it is still available, but if it is, I'd bet he would take a little less. If you can get into it for $650, I would say it is worth a try. I like that it only weights 62 pounds. 

I had the same budget as you last year. I was looking for used Coosa's, Ride 115x Max, and Predator MX. I found a couple Coosa HDs for $1,200 that I kinda wish I bought. I considered the Vibe Seaghost, Lure 11.5, and one other that I am forgetting. Ended up with a Predator MX and am very pleased. 

Coming from an Ascend 12T, the Predator MX is 10x more maneuverable, which is a MAJOR plus on rivers and the main reason I got out of the Ascend line. The MX was designed to fish on rivers, which few boats are. It is also more stable and significantly quicker. The horizontal rod holders are great for getting under those low hanging branches on all our streams. I have seen a few of them used for less than $1,000, but they do not come up for sale used super often. 

Regardless of what you get, if you are willing to drive an hour or two and check Craigslist and Facebook marketplace within that radius, it really opens up the amount of options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TroutRinger said:

Gotcha. Well, someone in FLW was selling a Slayer 12 for like $750 on Facebook marketplace. Not sure if it is still available, but if it is, I'd bet he would take a little less. If you can get into it for $650, I would say it is worth a try. I like that it only weights 62 pounds. 

I had the same budget as you last year. I was looking for used Coosa's, Ride 115x Max, and Predator MX. I found a couple Coosa HDs for $1,200 that I kinda wish I bought. I considered the Vibe Seaghost, Lure 11.5, and one other that I am forgetting. Ended up with a Predator MX and am very pleased. 

Coming from an Ascend 12T, the Predator MX is 10x more maneuverable, which is a MAJOR plus on rivers and the main reason I got out of the Ascend line. The MX was designed to fish on rivers, which few boats are. It is also more stable and significantly quicker. The horizontal rod holders are great for getting under those low hanging branches on all our streams. I have seen a few of them used for less than $1,000, but they do not come up for sale used super often. 

Regardless of what you get, if you are willing to drive an hour or two and check Craigslist and Facebook marketplace within that radius, it really opens up the amount of options.

The one on Facebook is the one I’m looking at! Thanks for the advice on the other ones as well. I have considered biting the bullet and just go ahead and buy a Jackson but probably not the best long term decision. Lol I’m going to start expanding my search down into Arkansas and up into St.Louis and Kansas City and see if I can’t find a good deal. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Harps said:

That looks like a really nice boat. Interested to see how you like it.

Will do! Probably take it out on the LOZ this week and have a float planned starting at Bennet Sunday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2018 at 10:48 PM, Harps said:

That looks like a really nice boat. Interested to see how you like it.

Got to take it out on the LOZ today for about 3 hours, didn’t really focus on catching fish much but it is a solid boat much quicker than my old kayak from point a to point b. Also much more stable can move around fine and have not tried standing yet but I’m sure it will be no problem. I sat with the seat in the high position the whole time and it was very comfortable. Very happy with the boat. Next test: the river. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.