May 21, Indian Creek

Quillback

Launched at dawn, cloudy yet calm morning.  The plan was to try for crappie.

We motored back into Indian Creek, went into a cove that a buddy of mine had caught some crappie in a week ago, and we diligently fished with various crappie lures and caught zero crappie.  Meanwhile top water striper activity was getting going, it was easy to ditch the crappie stuff and start chasing stripers.

We started chasing down the blow ups, easing in on a low trolling motor setting once we got close to casting range.  Sometimes we'd get close enough, sometimes they'd move before we got there, but the fish that wanted that top water really got after it, they'd keep hitting it until they were hooked.   We were using walk the dog type baits, I had a Yellow Magic Havana and my buddy was throwing a Spook.

We caught 8 stripers that ranged between 5 - 10 lbs., we released them all.  

Once the sun burned through the clouds, the stripers stopped.  We wasted some more time in pursuit of crappie, and tiring of that, we spent the last hour fishing for smallies, we caught a half dozen of those on 3.3 Keitechs.

Surface water temp was 77 when we left at noon.

May21A.jpg

May21B.jpg

May21C.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

Quill you're having quite a Spring. I missed all last May with our dock inaccessible. Really enjoying getting inspiration from your reports. Mid lake is clearing but nothing like the water you are fishing. Thanks for another great report and keep on em'.

4 hours ago, 176champion said:

Quill is there a boat ramp near the dam on Beaver..

Yes sir, there's a couple - there's one at the dam, I believe it is called Dam Site park - but I have never used it.  Then there is one at Indian creek which is about a mile or two from the dam by water.  There's also Lost Bridge North and South.  These are all COE parks/ramps.

1 hour ago, Quillback said:

Yes sir, there's a couple - there's one at the dam, I believe it is called Dam Site park - but I have never used it.  Then there is one at Indian creek which is about a mile or two from the dam by water.  There's also Lost Bridge North and South.  These are all COE parks/ramps.

Thank you sir....I guess i would need an out of state fishing license as well..After this move thing and get situated i may try going down there, looks to be around an hour 1/2 tow down there..

I know everything about nothing and know nothing about everything!

Bruce Philips

Sounds like a great trip QB! I was talking with a couple of friends as we were putting in our cast quota for a possible musky and striper fishing on Beaver came up in the conversation. I said that I know a guy😀