Started late, finished early

mixermarkb

Best laid plans...

Had hoped to leave STL by noon Thursday, fish Thurs eve and Friday early morning till midday. Life got in the way, and I didn't get into Theodosia until 1am. I still was going to try and fish early, but that 5am alarm just hurt too bad.

After dealing with dead troller batteries and some other general boat nonsense, I put in at buck creek around 11am. Ramp is very FLAT! Not the launch if you must keep feet and or truck dry. Anyway, to further complicate the day, the opti must have picked up some crap in the water pump during the high water last trip, overheat alarm and very weak stream. So, plans changed to just fishing close. 

Main lake points were the deal, old lake line to maybe 20', boat in 30'ish. Topwater, jerkbait, 3.3 kietech, Ned, tube, more topwater all caught fish. Quit around 4:30pm when I started seeing weather building, as being out in a storm in a broken boat didn't sound like much fun. 20ish fish to the boat, best 5 were prolly 11 and change, which I didn't feel too bad about given the time of day that I fished and lack of mobility.

water temps 80-81, wake boats and pontoons in full swing, at least as full as Bull gets.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This post has been promoted to an article

Sorry about the “troubles”, but hey you go on the water and whacked em. I did not get on the water and caught zero fish. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

Yeah Ham, I was determined to get out there. My troubles were mostly self inflicted, it's hard to keep a boat in fishing shape when you leave it 250 miles away in a storage unit without electricity. Combine that with work and family obligations and you end up with a whole crap load of little annoying details to take care of before time on the water!

I'm hoping to bring the family down a few days next week. Im sure I'll have at least a morning or two to get up early and make new holes in the faces of some topwater fish. 

Btw,  I lost an absolute tank of a spot, like 18" or better, at the boat on a megbass 110. As Babler said in the TR forum, those things aren't just for winter.

i'm sure the feel of the first bass you caught in your hands put a smile on your face :)  Wonder how high she'll go now after the almost 3" rain I got yesterday  and the 5-6"+ they got in the last 2 days 10 miles North of me ;(  Creek slabs and roads were washed away ...

1 hour ago, Fish24/7 said:

i'm sure the feel of the first bass you caught in your hands put a smile on your face :)  Wonder how high she'll go now after the almost 3" rain I got yesterday  and the 5-6"+ they got in the last 2 days 10 miles North of me ;(  Creek slabs and roads were washed away ...

I have no idea. I drove through the storm yesterday on the way home. Little North Fork and Pond Fork were both rolling hard, and water was over the road in several spots. Limbs down around Thornfield. Had I been a few minutes later, I may not have gotten through, stuff was rising that fast.

If I had to guess, I'd say 680 is possible, as the rain all went through to the south along the White river, so the corps can't release even if they didn't want to hold the water for power. 

Elevator will go up a little for sure, how much, I have no guess.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:21 PM, mixermarkb said:

Main lake points were the deal, old lake line to maybe 20', boat in 30'ish. Topwater, jerkbait, 3.3 kietech, Ned, tube, more topwater all caught fish. Quit around 4:30pm when I started seeing weather building, as being out in a storm in a broken boat didn't sound like much fun. 20ish fish to the boat, best 5 were prolly 11 and change, which I didn't feel too bad about given the time of day that I fished and lack of mobility.

water temps 80-81, wake boats and pontoons in full swing, at least as full as Bull gets.

This post has been promoted to an article

sorry ya had boat trouble.
My buddy dragged his down and it wouldn't even turn over.
it never made it off the trailer, into the water and right back out..

We put him and his son in our boats for the weekend.

I saw water as high as 84 mid lake trolling.

Lake points were also the key to our fishing over the weekend.
Back of the coves in flooded brush  say 10-12fow also produced some bass.

I had a nice fat 17" lm when not a minute later my son tops me with an 18" LM.
Then he hooks several walleye on a spinner bait, he had the hot stick this weekend. 

Monday and Tuesday I can count the boats on 1 hand that we saw while fishing..  :)

26 minutes ago, Fish24/7 said:

84, dang already?  not good  

I need to get out there , been too long in between trips , post spawn topwater bite should be on fire

Some days yes, some days no. 😄