Memorial Day quickie

Smalliebigs

I did a little float with my Nephew Mason who I have been mentoring as a fisherman. He is my only Nephew who is even interested in fishing and actually Mason eats sleeps and lives river bass fishing. He messages me all the time to go and I have been giving him tips and helping where I can. He is a great kid and it bums me out that he is moving to Minnesota to play for a Junior A hockey team but, apparently he has a shot at playing hockey for money eventually. At 13 he is well over 6 ft tall and is very good defenseman but, I  have some a reservations about my sister's decision to send him to a boarding school hockey academy up there to become a pro hockey player. I am gonna fish with him as much as I can before he is shipped up North.

He out fished me today using a Tackle HD craw and I was happy about that. Normally I would be bummed about not having the best day and missing a few nice fish but, seeing the wonderment and joy on my Nephews face as he nailed his first 2 river bass over 18 inches was absolutely One of those moments in my life that is permanently burnt into my brain. 

The kid was concentrating on any log we came across, pitching the Craw in and around them. He was just putting on a show really and I couldn't have been more proud of him. In Two short years of real obsession of river fishing he has really grown as fisherman and is just coming into his own really.

He caught a Smallie that was 18.5 but beat up and skinny from the spawn, as well as a good amount of bass in the 14 to 16 inches. He was really in tune with the HD Craw and not over working the bait. I was letting him stay in front of me and at One point I saw him flip the craw into a nice log and set the hook. Immediately I see what looks like a decent fish jump completely out of the water and he screams "Uncle Scott this one is different"....hahaha. So I paddle down to him and he has already freaked and beached his canoe trying to land his different fish. It turned out to be a beautiful 19 1/4 River Largemouth and chunky.....Mason was on cloud 9.

After catching and releasing a 4lb river bass the amount of enthusiasm and joy my Nephew was exhibiting was making me reminisce about what I was like when I did the same thing. It was just One of those moments and honestly I just watched him fish the last couple of miles with a huge grin on my face, where I would have normally fished very hard. 

Talking with my Nephew on the way home and seeing his absolute happiness was AWESOME. He just couldn't quit asking questions about river fishing and seemingly soaking up my info like a sponge. I am bummed to see him moving away at a young age in an attempt to become a hockey player but, I feel I have instilled a base and a love of chasing bass that will live on in him for a long time. He's a great kid and I will miss getting to mentor him and fish with him.

20180528_195229.jpg

23 minutes ago, drew03cmc said:

Good on ya Scott. Passing the info and passion along is what it's all about.

hey Andy, you are absolutely right my friend.....I am just kinda bummed my not so little fishing buddy is moving away. He absolutely loves the river scene like we do and it's soo sweet to see that in a younger person.....at the take out he caught a decent 14 inch Smallie and released it right in front of a local group of floaters, who were amazed to to see him release it and wondered why he wasn't putting it on a stringer. He proceeded to explain to them how long it takes for river Smallies to grow and enumerating how old the fish was he just released and how many times it could have been caught.Then he explained that's why there are new size regs on that particular stretch of river. The drunks kinda chuckled at him except for One older guy who agreed with my Nephew's info and thanked Mason for taking care of the fish in the river hahahaha.....I was bursting with pride

We need to plan a trip somewhere special my friend :)

That was a great read.  Thank you for sharing.  If he is as passionate about hockey as he is about fishing, then the sky is the limit for him.  He sounds like a rare breed that will succeed in everything he does.  Be proud of him and be proud of yourself as well.  You have had a permanent impact on his life.  Congrats. 

As the father of a high level high school soccer player, I struggle often with some of the decisions my daughter makes both on and off the field.  I want so much for her, but I want her to make her own choices for her future.  

Mark

54 minutes ago, mzrealfish said:

That was a great read.  Thank you for sharing.  If he is as passionate about hockey as he is about fishing, then the sky is the limit for him.  He sounds like a rare breed that will succeed in everything he does.  Be proud of him and be proud of yourself as well.  You have had a permanent impact on his life.  Congrats. 

As the father of a high level high school soccer player, I struggle often with some of the decisions my daughter makes both on and off the field.  I want so much for her, but I want her to make her own choices for her future.  

Mark

Thanks man!!!!....I am just bummed I am loosing a fishing buddy in the making for sure but, someday if I can get old enough we will re-kindle our fishing times.

He is a great kid, very quite and un assuming and respectful. I had no idea what goes into becoming or even having a chance at being in the NHL. It's seems a little crazy to me to have to send your just 13 year old to a hockey only boarding school run by Yari Kurri and Mark Messier  to get 24/7 skate/hockey training but, it's where all the elite hockey talent is in North America.

like I said his enthusiasm for fishing and his thirst for any knowledge I can give him was really fun.....I was having a great time hanging with my Nephew

7 hours ago, Smalliebigs said:

We need to plan a trip somewhere special my friend :)

You could not be more right. I'm ready and the waters are getting about right. Memories don't make themselves. 

I can only hope my kids are that passionate about anything buddy...

Andy

I hope he takes a couple rods with him up there. Plenty of places to fish up there. There have been several local kids from around here that are playing in the NHL  right now so it could happen. Best of luck to him.