Turner Jones micro jigs

JimDog

Gavin is a great tier, I've seen what he can do.  Between him and tjm, I'm sure they could eventually figure it out.   Gavin - I will give you one the next time we fish for you to de-construct.  As Bill B said, this is extremely durable little jig, like I've never seen.  I can't remember ever denting the head, scratching the paint even slightly, or it losing feathers . . . even after catching dozens of fish.  The ones I have are in perfect shape, other than the dye in the feathers losing color.  The hook is strong.  Lost jigs only to the worst of snags, it takes a lot to straighten that tiny little hook.  Its the perfect sink rate, size, attention to detail, etc.  Very well constructed --- by a PRO.

What is Phil willing to sell his remaining white jigs stock to yours truly, Paul Dallas for? 

Anyway, hats off and cheers to TURNERS - the original inventors, and to Merlin Olsen's endorsement, for many fine days of success at Roaring River, and Taney with this one of a kind jig.  

I never regretted not having another root beer, only regrets are not having another one of those jigs in my pocket.

I'd like to have couple to look at, maybe dissect one, most of the little I know  about tying I learned by reverse engineering. There may be more to that little jig, it appears to have a clear tube over the collar. If so that clear tube would be the thin wall without adhesive , I think. The head is outside my skill set and obviously of his own design.

18 hours ago, Gavin said:

Yeah, I was wrong. looks like a ton of work to replicate. His jig molds,  & remaining inventories might be available if you could locate & purchase. Would tell you allot if that's all he tied.

Phil pretty much has all his remaining completed inventory.  Molds are who only knows where.  Heather told me they were stolen.  The inventory that we received after he passed were heads he had already molded and were in her inventory.  I have tried to reach her this year, but her phone has been disconnected.

Out of the Blue one day she will call me and we will see what can be done.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, ColdWaterFshr said:

A white merlin olsen jig, brand new and still in its original unopened vial, just sold for $ 126.00 on eBay.  

Phil, you may be sitting on a gold mine with your inventory... $126 per jig???  Maybe early retirement??? Kinda like the original Wiggle

Wart craze. 

Those things look great for still water fishing but we never have that down here on the White/Norfork rivers. 

• Root Admin
3 hours ago, Bill Babler said:

Texted that to Steven in under 30 seconds he said 109 per oz.

So I guess we should stop calling them 1/265th and call them 1/100th?

Wonder what the full micros are?  1/16th?

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

dunno, got weigh  a dressed jug and one that is spent (bare jig head). Thanks CW, hope you can make Slosh's trip, our lets go soon when you have availability. Can't do JF this weekend. Midweek day trip possible, tell them you are mole whacking or playing golf.

52 minutes ago, Gavin said:

dunno, got weigh  a dressed jug and one that is spent (bare jig head). Thanks CW, hope you can make Slosh's trip, our lets go soon when you have availability. Can't do JF this weekend. Midweek day trip possible, tell them you are mole whacking or playing golf.

We’re gonna have to rig you up with one of those blow devices that checks blood alcohol content before you can post. You know, like the one in your car 😄

John

On 6/5/2018 at 6:22 PM, Phil Lilley said:

Just weighed a micro (1/256th oz).  It's .0092 ounces.

Someone do the math.

Not sure what you want the math for? Bill's gives how flies per ounce (not sure why this matters?)

1/256oz = .0039oz = jig head = 1.70898438 grains

jig head + Hook + paint + dressing = .0092oz= 4.025grains

1oz/.0092oz = 108.69 or ~ 109 jigs per ounce  and ~1739 jigs per pound (fwiw)

If the jig head weighs .0039 it's very likely that the finished lure weighs .0092 or roughly 2.3 times what the head weight is

By simple proportion the 1/156oz (.0064oz) heads should dress to ~ 2.3589 X 1/156 = .0151oz or 6.61 grains

And there would be ~66 jigs per ounce or 1059 jigs per pound

There are 7,000 grains in a pound. A Daisy BB weighs ~ 5.386 grains , a lead BB ~6.25 grains and shot approximately equivalent to the half jig head would be #7 bird shot and the cavity needed would 0.10" diameter.  A 0.245" diameter cavity should approximate the 1/156oz head- #3 buck is just a bit bigger