State Record Goldeye

This is such a strange fish. The head an mouth look like some prehistoric species. Definitely one that I want to catch ;).

mdc news release

Sedalia angler hooks state-record goldeye

MDC congratulates Kerry Glenn on breaking the pole-and-line state record by catching a 2-pound, 2-ounce goldeye on Truman Lake.

SEDALIA, Mo. – The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) reports that Kerry Glenn of Sedalia became the most recent record-breaking angler in Missouri when he hooked a goldeye on Truman Lake using a rod and reel.

The new “pole and line” record goldeye caught by Glenn on May 25 weighed 2 pounds, 2 ounces. It broke the previous state-record of 2 pounds. Glenn was crappie fishing using minnow for bait when he caught the goldeye.

“As soon as I hooked the fish I knew right away that it wasn’t a crappie,” Glenn said. “After getting the fish in the boat, I really had no idea what I caught.”

Glenn added he thought he caught a shad, but after taking his fish to Lost Valley Hatchery to get it identified and weighed, he then found out that he caught a state-record goldeye.

“I was so shocked to hear that I caught a state-record fish,” he said. “It took a while for that to sink in, and once it did I couldn’t be any prouder. I have fished Truman Lake my entire life and never thought I would catch a state-record fish, and just like that, I did.”

Goldeyes are a part of the mooneye family, and most often found in the open waters of large rivers and lakes. Goldeyes have large eyes and prominent teeth on the jaws, roof of mouth, and tongue. Anglers often mistake the goldeye for skipjack herring while fishing for bait.

“I’m so very honored and humbled to hold a Missouri state record for the largest goldeye,” Glenn said.

Missouri state-record fish are recognized in two categories: pole-and-line and alternative methods. Alternative methods include: throwlines, trotlines, limb lines, bank lines, jug lines, spearfishing, snagging, snaring, gigging, grabbing, archery, and atlatl.

For more information on state-record fish, visit the MDC website at http://on.mo.gov/2efq1vl.

Kerry Glenn

Congratulations to Kerry Glenn on breaking the pole-and-line state record by catching a 2-pound, 2-ounce goldeye on Truman Lake.

We used to catch goldeye occasionally in the Grand river in north Mo. They made pretty good cut bait, even if they weren't a shad or skipjack. 

I can't dance like I used to.

Pretty neat John,

Brings back many memories. I used to catch a couple every year standing on those rocks below Truman dam with crappie jigs. They can even get acrobatic while fighting ,

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

3 hours ago, BilletHead said:

They can even get acrobatic while fighting ,

Sounds like the hickory shad that I was catching in Maryland. One of the guys at work lauds it over me that he caught one down at Truman dam. I haven't logged enough time down that way.

I know MOSmallies on this forum caught a state record Goldeye but never turned it in. It looked bigger than that one... I think the One Paul caught was 19.5 inches and quit fat.

I have caught several Skip Jacks, Moon Eye and Gold Eyes from the LM and Mississippi that exceeded 17 inches but never even thought to inquire about a record....I only cut them up for Blue bait🤔

22 hours ago, Smalliebigs said:

I have caught several Skip Jacks, Moon Eye and Gold Eyes from the LM and Mississippi that exceeded 17 inches but never even thought to inquire about a record....I only cut them up for Blue bait🤔

Definitely three fish on my wish list. Will have to see if they are found around Maryland. Or else I may have to bug you on one of my return trips to see if you could put me on some😀!

8 hours ago, Haris122 said:

What have you guys caught them on the most in the lower Meramec?

Haris mostly they hit any white jigs I may throw and occasionally hit cranks.....I was thumbing thru pics on my phone to find some for ya and having trouble as Google deleted all my archived pics recently???....here is a decent skippy that hit a crank

014.jpg