2018 Dove

Ketchup

7 hours ago, Deadstream said:

The bacon and beer is always good!   The shooting is fun.   The dove taste like dung.  I've had it in South Carolina, Texas, Georgia, Kansas, Missouri, North Carolina and it has never tasted any better then military liver.  Yaack. You enjoy them. 

I feel Deadstream you may be doing something wrong in the cooking process. If this is the case you probably don't like duck, goose, venison, squirrel, rabbit and other assorted wild game.  Quick overcooking is the biggest mistake on wild game. If you cook it quick the meat needs to be medium rare. Try this sometime and let us know what you think,

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

4 hours ago, Quillback said:

Haven't had dove in years, but to make them edible I used to marinade them overnight in Teriyaki marinade, then wrap with bacon and BBQ them.  

Et tu, Quillback? 

Biggest mistake is over cooking game or any meat for that fact. We as consumers have to cook mass butchered meat because of the way it is treated. Wild game if not all shot up can be eaten on the rare side. If we have one shot up it is treated different than one that is not.  I have cooked dove which is mainly a seed eater, woodcock and snipe worm and bug eaters. All three of these the breast sides filled off and just slightly browned with pink to red centers. The bites were not tough or "Liver tasting". 

I am throwing a question out there to you make it edible guys. Do you cook your good cuts of steaks like a ribeye well done to the max? If you don't but have done accidentally how does that taste compared to medium rare? 

BilletHead

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

I had some dove breasts wrapped in bacon and done on the grill and it was very, very good. 

I have also had dove breasts braised and then slow cooked in a gravy. It was pretty good, but not in the same zip code as grilled.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

24 minutes ago, Ham said:

I had some dove breasts wrapped in bacon and done on the grill and it was very, very good. 

I have also had dove breasts braised and then slow cooked in a gravy. It was pretty good, but not in the same zip code as grilled.

If you get a chance Ham do the taste test with a clean shot dove breast side to a medium rare.   I have also cooked one half of a wild turkey breast in gravy to a controlled temp. The wild turkey was a blush or pink inside the center of it. I would say that was the best wild turkey dish I have ever had. Tender too,

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

Agree overcooking and not properly handling game contribute to the bad rap I often hear.  My experience is I get out of it what I put into it as far as care and preparation...and I have learned to be meticulous.  The results are quite delicious, although I can’t say that I’ve rendered and stored goose fat for cooking...🤔

Mike

43 minutes ago, nomolites said:

Agree overcooking and not properly handling game contribute to the bad rap I often hear.  My experience is I get out of it what I put into it as far as care and preparation...and I have learned to be meticulous.  The results are quite delicious, although I can’t say that I’ve rendered and stored goose fat for cooking...🤔

Mike

Mike if you were ever close to BilletHeadVille I would gift you a jar of the precious stuff. You would never look at the Canada goose the same :) ,

thumbnail_0903181553.jpg     If you ever so to SW Mo. Let me know,

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

16 hours ago, BilletHead said:

If you get a chance Ham do the taste test with a clean shot dove breast side to a medium rare.   

I can’t ever find a group to Dove Hunt with so that gets in the way of me trying various Dove breast recipes, but yeah I agree with cooking requirements largely being a result of commercial food processing 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

51 minutes ago, Ham said:

I can’t ever find a group to Dove Hunt with so that gets in the way of me trying various Dove breast recipes, but yeah I agree with cooking requirements largely being a result of commercial food processing 

We live too far away and that Folly fellow made things worse.

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead